Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

I still wonder though if there are production batches that were better initially. Mine really isn't bad, with exception of a few ocasions where it was unstable. I was one of the first ones to get one in the US. But yet, I heard from others who also had earlier models that some had issues, others not. Really weired. Perhaps I just had luck with my unit.

GC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I still wonder though if there are production batches that were better initially. Mine really isn't bad, with exception of a few ocasions where it was unstable. I was one of the first ones to get one in the US. But yet, I heard from others who also had earlier models that some had issues, others not. Really weired. Perhaps I just had luck with my unit.

GC

I think mine is one of the early ones too, I did get an email reply from the Australia repair center saying that my model was one of the ones affected so they knew what model runs had the issue. If you’re curious about it, send them an email about it with your serial number to see if yours is one also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I still wonder though if there are production batches that were better initially

I also use it with supplied BT headphones only and mine is an April 2022 build and seems to be one of the top 5% in stability and use-ability. My 11" mono appears to be one of the 'good ones' also. Ive never used the speaker and have zero need to. I was wondering why I should bother getting the update/fix at all....but now my mate tells me the difference in his after his fix and so now I'm considering it, especially if it only takes 10 minutes at a dealer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Aureous said:

I also use it with supplied BT headphones only and mine is an April 2022 build and seems to be one of the top 5% in stability and use-ability. My 11" mono appears to be one of the 'good ones' also. Ive never used the speaker and have zero need to. I was wondering why I should bother getting the update/fix at all....but now my mate tells me the difference in his after his fix and so now I'm considering it, especially if it only takes 10 minutes at a dealer.

I suspect it will be longer than 10 minutes - maybe 30 if the dealer has the spare parts and a hot soldering station.  But anyways, it seems to be better overall.

• Like 4

I don't understand how someone could not want to get it done, every time I'm swinging it I'd be wondering if it would be performing better if I had the fix done to it.  The fact every new one comes with the new components should be telling to those that are reluctant. 

Each to their own, you don't know what you don't know so you're not going to miss anything, some can't even notice the issue in the first place, so it's best they just contact Minelab and verify if their serial number is affected for their own peace of mind, I already know, unless it's a couple of months old or newer it is.

• Like 1

Thanks i will definitely be sending mine back. I won’t be rushing in to get it updated though. I will wait till it is too hot for detecting. The way minelab have handled the issue is really poor. They should be contacting us. They know which detectors are affected and have our details from warranty registration. The market knows something is up. Codan shares down about 80 percent over the last year🤔

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

Thanks i will definitely be sending mine back. I won’t be rushing in to get it updated though. I will wait till it is too hot for detecting. The way minelab have handled the issue is really poor. They should be contacting us. They know which detectors are affected and have our details from warranty registration. The market knows something is up. Codan shares down about 80 percent over the last year🤔

In the USA, I just filled out Detector Center’s online form on Wednesday night for a repair ticket, described what I wanted done and had a reply from them and a repair ticket number within 12 hours. Already mailed mine to them on the next day………couldn’t have been easier even with me being temporarily handicapped.

I agree, Minelab could have at least done what Nokta did with the recent Legend speaker issue. Nokta recognized that Legend speakers were failing, they let their customers know that they were sourcing replacement speakers from a different manufacturer and were retrofitting available stock, then they let their customers know when there were replacements available at their countries service centers. They got out in front of it publicly very quickly. So, Minelab may have had inductor sourcing issues too and needed to retrofit existing stock and then supply enough parts to their worldwide service network. For US dealers to know nothing until this information hit the forums and other social media is a joke.

Anyway, I expect I will get a email from Detector Center later next week letting me know to lookout for a return package.

• Like 4

I think Minelab are absolutely awesome when it comes to warranty and customer service, where they severely lack is communication, they're great at communicating customer finds and promotional material but when stuff like this GPX speaker problem comes up they do their best to make sure as few people find out about it as possible, hiding it away on their website only viewable by Australian customers if they just happen to be looking for a firmware update for the 6000 however unlikely that maybe, accidental? you be the judge.  That's pretty disappointing for one of the highest priced detectors ever made and that's where the criticism comes from. 

They're without a doubt my favourite detector manufacturer but they're a long way from perfect mainly due to their communication issues with customers and quality control obviously.  They don't mind posting customers finds all over their Facebook group yet something as important as this fix goes largely ignored which is very disappointing.  Even now it can still only been seen with Australian IP addresses when this thread was started late September.

As the leading manufacturer they're pretty shielded as we will continue to buy their products regardless however, as others catch up which they are working to do and starting to really achieve results they may find their communication and quality control really start to bite into their sales as customers happily jump ship to other brands.

Their shares have taken an absolute beating the past 12 months, no doubt about that, hopefully they recover, we certainly want them to be successful and seeing the price collapse like it has isn't good for us, their customers.

I'm finally happy with my 6000, it's now the detector I was expecting when I purchased it, it's without a doubt the worst experience I've ever had buying any product in my life though, never have I had such trouble.  It's certainly been a lemon.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't understand how someone could not want to get it done, every time I'm swinging it I'd be wondering if it would be performing better if I had the fix done to it.  The fact every new one comes with the new components should be telling to those that are reluctant. 

Each to their own, you don't know what you don't know so you're not going to miss anything, some can't even notice the issue in the first place, so it's best they just contact Minelab and verify if their serial number is affected for their own peace of mind, I already know, unless it's a couple of months old or newer it is.

Grasshopper, I read another page of 26 whoops 27 of why I should get my 6K upgraded, then I nick out into the backyard for a few early morning hours before the FNQ OZ summer heat hits, but I keep scoring a few nuggets in easy to get at close ground ground that`s been absolutely flogged. Tis our FNQ sun it has touched me bad. 

• Like 2

That's OK Norvic,,you keep using yours as is, won't change my life, you'll never know what you don't know 🙂

• Like 1