Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I think Minelab are absolutely awesome when it comes to warranty and customer service, where they severely lack is communication, they're great at communicating customer finds and promotional material but when stuff like this GPX speaker problem comes up they do their best to make sure as few people find out about it as possible, hiding it away on their website only viewable by Australian customers if they just happen to be looking for a firmware update for the 6000 however unlikely that maybe, accidental? you be the judge.  That's pretty disappointing for one of the highest priced detectors ever made and that's where the criticism comes from. 

They're without a doubt my favourite detector manufacturer but they're a long way from perfect mainly due to their communication issues with customers and quality control obviously.  They don't mind posting customers finds all over their Facebook group yet something as important as this fix goes largely ignored which is very disappointing.  Even now it can still only been seen with Australian IP addresses when this thread was started late September.

As the leading manufacturer they're pretty shielded as we will continue to buy their products regardless however, as others catch up which they are working to do and starting to really achieve results they may find their communication and quality control really start to bite into their sales as customers happily jump ship to other brands.

Their shares have taken an absolute beating the past 12 months, no doubt about that, hopefully they recover, we certainly want them to be successful and seeing the price collapse like it has isn't good for us, their customers.

I'm finally happy with my 6000, it's now the detector I was expecting when I purchased it, it's without a doubt the worst experience I've ever had buying any product in my life though, never have I had such trouble.  It's certainly been a lemon.

Mines over there right now it arrived today...hopefully it will be a quick turn around...now just waiting for those Nuggetfinder coils to start showing up. I was thinking of starting a thred called "Why Minelab Sucks But I Keep Buying Their Detectors"  

I'll hold of till after the Manticore shows up. The 6000 really is a great machine when it's working properly. 

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I doubt the share price is an indicator of what Minelab is doing when you consider how the rest of the stock market is also wiped out compared to a year ago. Tesla, other car manufactures, crypto, are all riding the same wave down

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WesD said:

I doubt the share price is an indicator of what Minelab is doing when you consider how the rest of the stock market is also wiped out compared to a year ago. Tesla, other car manufactures, crypto, are all riding the same wave down

The director obviously has high hopes for the Manticore 🙂

https://www.fool.com.au/2022/11/01/guess-which-asx-all-ords-share-just-caught-a-buy-from-an-insider-after-falling-60-this-year/

The ASX 200 which Codan was dumped from in June this year is Australia's benchmark of shares,  the top 200 companies in Australia on the stock exchange, The ASX is down on average about 7% in the past 12 months, Codan is down 61% in the same time, it's certainly not following the norm and realistically is in real trouble 😞

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

In the USA, I just filled out Detector Center’s online form on Wednesday night for a repair ticket, described what I wanted done and had a reply from them and a repair ticket number within 12 hours. Already mailed mine to them on the next day………couldn’t have been easier even with me being temporarily handicapped.

I agree, Minelab could have at least done what Nokta did with the recent Legend speaker issue. Nokta recognized that Legend speakers were failing, they let their customers know that they were sourcing replacement speakers from a different manufacturer and were retrofitting available stock, then they let their customers know when there were replacements available at their countries service centers. They got out in front of it publicly very quickly. So, Minelab may have had inductor sourcing issues too and needed to retrofit existing stock and then supply enough parts to their worldwide service network. For US dealers to know nothing until this information hit the forums and other social media is a joke.

Anyway, I expect I will get a email from Detector Center later next week letting me know to lookout for a return package.

Mine has been in their shop since Monday morning and they have not touched it yet. 

1 hour ago, billdean said:

Mine has been in their shop since Monday morning and they have not touched it yet. 

I found that some of their updates are not too timely,  my detector was being returned the same day it showed as serviced.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's OK Norvic,,you keep using yours as is, won't change my life, you'll never know what you don't know 🙂

Something is not right about this "upgrade" it appears a sort of a rushed backyard repair of a complex piece of electronics, a stop gap solution, too many 6Ks are having problems and not just whilst using the speaker but there are many others who aren`t. They cannot be the same machine and all are faulty. Because I`m not having troubles I`ll wait and see what time brings. Sort of if it aint broke dont fix it. Time will tell and we`ll all know then.

Many detectors helped and changed my life Phrunt the 6Ks just the latest, tis a magic machine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

The director obviously has high hopes for the Manticore 🙂

I wonder if they can afford another publicity nightmare (maybe too strong of a word?) like what's happened with the GPX6000.  Even if the Manticore *only* has as much trouble as the Equinox they are going to be worse off.  And with Nokta, XP, and Garrett starting to impinge upon 'their' turf while being More/Less upfront with customers, there's a threat their run as 'the best in the business' could be in jeopardy.  Mark Lurie sure was aware that the Equinox's weaknesses are common (unpopular) knowledge and emphasized that its shortcomings would not be repeated.  I'm counting on him and the rest of the design+engineer+manufacture members that they've taken those problems (and the ones that beset the 6k) seriously.

But I'm not trying to pull the limelight away from this thread's topic (even if phrunt was 😁).  There's a huge difference between spending $1000 for a detector that has minor to moderate problems and $6000 for an instrument with major ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Something is not right about this "upgrade" it appears a sort of a rushed backyard repair of a complex piece of electronics, a stop gap solution, too many 6Ks are having problems and not just whilst using the speaker but there are many others who aren`t. They cannot be the same machine and all are faulty. Because I`m not having troubles I`ll wait and see what time brings. Sort of if it aint broke dont fix it. Time will tell and we`ll all know then.

Many detectors helped and changed my life Phrunt the 6Ks just the latest, tis a magic machine.

I'm in the same camp as Norvic.  I got one of the first 6's to hit the US.  Noticed all the little fits right from the start.  Tried to figure what was causing the fits and reading on the forum from others with a 6 and their issues.  I went from thinking it was a loose cable at the powerhead, detecting wet clay, the speaker, fits in the morning hours, then thought using the headphones stopped the fits, and aircraft, etc.?  Anyways, I was all over the map on what caused the fits and in the end before I sold the machine the ONLY thing I could definitely say that I KNOW caused fits in my areas and my 6 was aircraft overhead.  There may be other factors also but aircraft was my biggest emi issue.  I could literally listen to my machine start a fit, then get worse and as I watch the jet slowly leave my airspace the machine would start to settle down and once jet was gone machine back to normal smooth threshold then continue hunt.  Towards the end of my owning/using the 6 it got to where I'd rarely waste my time doing noise cancels, they never seemed to help.  Machine starts a little fit, I'd start looking for the aircraft, spot the aircraft, set machine on the ground, light up a smoke, let machine go wacko, watch plane leave, machine settles back down then continue hunt. The machine definitely impressed me several times but I got kinda frustrated losing 15min time every hunt, it adds up!  The 6 I had, even with a few fits, is nothing a guy couldn't get used to or work around and it is impressive at what it can do, just a little annoying at times.  The man I sold it to is doing great with it here in MT. and getting lots of gold.  I ask him about emi issues and he says a few fits now and then but just works around them and very happy with the 6.  In my opinion the 6 is just a super high strung sob, nature of the beast type deal, learn to work around it's faults and reap the rewards of it's strengths......

Been watching to see if the "fix" really is a fix.  Personally think the 6 is just a high strung sob, we'll see?????

• Like 4

On 11/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, oneguy said:

Been watching to see if the "fix" really is a fix.  Personally think the 6 is just a high strung sob, we'll see?????

Just curious, you didn’t mention if you were using it with the internal speaker or with headphones. I assume you were using the internal speaker only? If so, is there any possibility it was a random coincidence that there happened to be a jet flying nearby?

I’m pretty certain in the videos I posted earlier on this thread that there were no jets overhead when my threshold went crazy after each time I turned the Bluetooth speaker off enabling the internal speaker.  I was at the bottom of a remote and steep canyon to get away from all EMI as possible where I videotaped it. In my case at least it was the internal speaker causing feedback and Minelab’s fix solved the problem. I can now use the external speaker and mono coils with no speaker feedback issues.

On another note, I’m sorry you had to sell it and I hope it wasn’t because of the feedback issue, hopefully you got a good price for it. I wonder how many other people sold theirs below market value because of this and not knowing there would be a repair for it later on. At least they’re probably looking at getting axioms which would be a good alternative, so things may have worked out better in the long run.

• Like 2

I used the 6 without headphones, with corded headphones and the bluetooth.  Like I said above, trying to figure why the fits had me all over the map and the only thing I can say for certain is that 75%(?) of the aircraft overhead would cause some fits. I've had the 6 run smooth threshold most the day both with and without headphones.  Some days not many planes, some days up to 25 passed over?  Never ever paid any attention to aircraft....until I got the 6.  My time is limited and I need a machine that'll go straight to work without any BS so I sold it.  Took a $1100 hit but also dug close to an ounce with it so no biggy?  The 6 is just a little too high strung plus I don't hunt much with PI's anyways because of the trash aspect but keep the SDC for the times I want/need a PI.....it doesn't give any "fits", just works!  Not sorry I parted ways with it at all, just don't need the little aggravations that go along with that machine (imo).....

I hunt on side a mountain in steep ground above the canyon and I often wondered if the terrain might act like a funnel as far as the airplane emi...???

• Like 1