Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

There must be something funky about those American Aeroplanes as I detect often with my 6000 right near an international airport, a busy one too and I've never once had an aeroplane cause my 6000 any EMI issues even from day one with the faulty coil and EMI speaker issue, nor the helicopters that are constantly buzzing around above me with tourists looking around the mountains.  I too am down in the gully below close mountains, well on the way down to the river at the base.    It's just so strange how we each have our own unique experiences, no wonder it ends up in the odd occasion people step outside of the forum for a few minutes to duke it out.  🙂

• Like 1

I never had an issue with airplanes myself. My friends 6000 he keeps telling me he has issues with airplanes, helicopter and 4 wheelers. He says he can hear 4 wheelers approaching a 1/4 mile away. He only uses headphone.

After eliminating the overwhelming speaker EMI, it's now easier for me to identify other EMI sources affecting the 6000. 

Electric fences are one - they interfere much further away than I assumed at first. Another is heavy winds, I believe some static electricity component is at work there, and it's probably part of the reason I had worse problems at higher altitudes. I still am leaning towards some specific types of cell towers interfering as well, they may be sorts that have additional lower VLF or similar lower frequency transmitters/repeaters on them, or other co-located equipment, I haven't been able to verify this one for sure though. 

What I really hope is that this entire episode has convinced Minelab to build the next GPZ with much more robust shielding and EMI mitigation measures than the 6000 has. Serious detectors should have serious noise mitigation measures.

• Like 4

I've probably talked to more people that have had no issues with planes than those that do?  No cell service near my diggings and I also don't own a cell phone.  No trains or electric fences here either and I doubt there's any TV transmitters, pretty remote?  I'm probably 400ft above the canyon floor on side of the mountain.  Anyways.... kinda curious about the "fix" but that's all because I no longer have to deal with it.  Once again...not bashing the 6 at all, quite impressive, just not the machine for me.  I'm a MONSTER MAN....lmao!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's just so strange how we each have our own unique experiences

I don't know, I detect and that's it, really don't know the how's and whys things do or don't work? It has always been my belief as far as the 6 is concerned that your locations may play a big part in how that machine acts?  Just a gut feeling....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jasong said:

After eliminating the overwhelming speaker EMI, it's now easier for me to identify other EMI sources affecting the 6000. 

Electric fences are one - they interfere much further away than I assumed at first. Another is heavy winds, I believe some static electricity component is at work there, and it's probably part of the reason I had worse problems at higher altitudes. I still am leaning towards some specific types of cell towers interfering as well, they may be sorts that have additional lower VLF or similar lower frequency transmitters/repeaters on them, or other co-located equipment, I haven't been able to verify this one for sure though. 

What I really hope is that this entire episode has convinced Minelab to build the next GPZ with much more robust shielding and EMI mitigation measures than the 6000 has. Serious detectors should have serious noise mitigation measures.

5G cell service has permeated much of the US by now, probably not so in Australia. I suspect it’s another culprit. Also being up high on mountains may increase your exposure to microwave repeaters, those are common on mountain peaks to beam telecom signals over them. Since microwaves only work line of sight, as you walk around different valleys, hills and peaks, you’re going in and out of their different shadows.

I`m surprised Oneguy you didn`t take to the 6K being a Monster user, I sort of formed the opinion the 6Ks a Monster/SDC cross on steroids. Certainly probably more than any other detectors it is not everyone's cup of tea, but I`m keen as to see ML advance its ability, and to have an Axiom in hand... come on Santa. (very appropriate naming Garrett)

• Like 1

There are now rumours floating around this "fix" method is lowering the sensitivity of the 6000 to make it more stable, sounds logical that that would work to stabilize the machine so I can see why this rumour started.  I've had a few people contact me now saying they heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another Minelab lowered the sensitivity of the 6000 to fix the EMI problem.   I was prudent enough to do quite a bit of sensitivity testing before and after the repair and have found no negatives from the fix when it comes to performance.  In fact quite the opposite as I find my detector runs better meaning I'd have more chance of hearing a faint target than when it was erratic.

Let's think about this for a second, if for some reason Minelab found that the solution to the problem was to lower the sensitivity of the detector they could just do this with a firmware update, they wouldn't waste their own money paying service agents to do it by replacing a couple of small components.  They would just tell everyone who contacts them wanting theirs fixed to download and install the new firmware.  The 6000 has USB firmware update capability and if the did it that way it would be free for them to get the fix out there.   Also, every new GPX manufactured has these new components in it, so that would mean they've lowered the sensitivity of all new GPX's made, very unlikely. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

There are now rumours floating around this "fix" method is lowering the sensitivity of the 6000 to make it more stable, sounds logical that that would work to stabilize the machine so I can see why this rumour started.  I've had a few people contact me now saying they heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another Minelab lowered the sensitivity of the 6000 to fix the EMI problem.   I was prudent enough to do quite a bit of sensitivity testing before and after the repair and have found no negatives from the fix when it comes to performance.  In fact quite the opposite as I find my detector runs better meaning I'd have more chance of hearing a faint target than when it was erratic.

Let's think about this for a second, if for some reason Minelab found that the solution to the problem was to lower the sensitivity of the detector they could just do this with a firmware update, they wouldn't waste their own money paying service agents to do it by replacing a couple of small components.  They would just tell everyone who contacts them wanting theirs fixed to download and install the new firmware.  The 6000 has USB firmware update capability and if the did it that way it would be free for them to get the fix out there.   Also, every new GPX manufactured has these new components in it, so that would mean they've lowered the sensitivity of all new GPX's made, very unlikely. 

Unless there is a firmware update included with the board level component upgrade……… and the service agents are not mentioning it?

Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me. 

As long as the GPX 6000 has lower susceptibility to interference from its own speaker and from EMI in general without incurring a noticeable performance loss, I’m good with whatever the fix is. 

• Like 2