Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

36 minutes ago, billdean said:

The morning of October 31st

Just over a week? That’s normal. Don’t go by the updates on the notes, they didn’t update mine until the day they shipped it - it was just a little over a week also.  

50 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Just over a week? That’s normal. Don’t go by the updates on the notes, they didn’t update mine until the day they shipped it - it was just a little over a week also.  

I haven’t had any updates on the notes, but I keep checking anyways. 

17 minutes ago, billdean said:

I haven’t had any updates on the notes, but I keep checking anyways. 

Where there any issues with the coil you sent back to them?

14 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Where there any issues with the coil you sent back to them?

I believe so yes. Just the tiniest bump and it would go off like crazy. It would finally calm down but it took awhile and then it would do it again. I just couldn’t use it.

1 hour ago, billdean said:

I believe so yes. Just the tiniest bump and it would go off like crazy. It would finally calm down but it took awhile and then it would do it again. I just couldn’t use it.

Ah, they have a lot more to diagnose on yours- my turnaround time was probably short as the coil ears were obviously cracked and they could tell by my early serial number that it needed an update due to speaker feedback.

Well, after digging a lot of tiny birdshot on my most recent outing, I think the speaker mod was a good thing - I made a mistake on the survey and should have clicked on it made an improvement  instead of I wasn’t sure.  The improvement was subtle when actually swinging it with Bluetooth on for mine, but it was obviously much better when digging a target with the detector laying still on the ground.

I don’t think sensitivity was affected either- I found small birdshot buried several inches down when using both the 5x9” Coiltek and the Minelab 11” mono.

Overall I am now quite happy with the 6000, and when asked if I would consider an Axiom, I am definitely not sure about that.  It would really depend on how the field reports go from the general public after the first year it’s out, especially from others who have used both detectors. 

Oh and one last thing, I wish the modification made it more sensitive to gold than to birdshot! 😁

• Like 8

I am glad to report that my 6000 is on it’s way back to me. They found that my 11” coil was extremely touch sensitive and replaced it with a new GPX 11” Mono. They also did the external speaker fix, which they call an “Audio Modification” and are shipping it back to me today. It took exactly 2 weeks to the day. It sure seemed much longer then that!

• Like 6

You'll feel like a new man now with the new coil and the speaker fix.  You wont know yourself 🙂  I went through the same thing with a noisy coil and the EMI speaker issue.  My detector is so different now with both replaced/repaired, in fact I'm quite happy with it now.  That's a bit why it was so confusing for me to self diagnose as by using an alternative coil it ran better but still went nutty when it felt like it, so while improved it wasn't fixed and I was questioning the likelihood of having two things with problems and kept thinking it must be how its meant to be.  It wasn't until the news of the EMI fix hit the streets that it hit me I had both playing up, and I did.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

You'll feel like a new man now with the new coil and the speaker fix.  You wont know yourself 🙂  I went through the same thing with a noisy coil and the EMI speaker issue.  My detector is so different now with both replaced/repaired, in fact I'm quite happy with it now.  That's a bit why it was so confusing for me to self diagnose as by using an alternative coil it ran better but still went nutty when it felt like it, so while improved it wasn't fixed and I was questioning the likelihood of having two things with problems and kept thinking it must be how its meant to be.  It wasn't until the news of the EMI fix hit the streets that it hit me I had both playing up, and I did.

Yeah, I really do like it now and all but as a gold detector, why did they have to go and make it so darn sensitive to lead birdshot? 🤔

• Haha 1

Minelab's US site finally put the fix online, it's under the newly added "updates" tab on the 6000 page: https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/gpx-6000 (I can't link to the updates tab directly, you'll have to click the tab)

So in case anyone was waiting to see if it was legit, or officially sanctioned, or whatever...it is. I think it's hilarious they still say "infrequent cases" though, as if it doesn't affect almost every 6000 out there built up until Sept or whenever.

Hopefully they pushed the update to rest of the world now too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1