Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

16 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

When you tighten these coil bolts (essentially against themselves to produce friction) you are not putting any pressure/stress on the coil ear structure so you can over-tighten as much as you want which is a natural tendency for some of us.

That was my point, and why I mentioned it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klunker said:

I will have to be more aware and be careful no to make contact with the ground with my coil while detecting. Silly me. I should have known this as I know my excavator buckets last much longer if I don't allow them to scrape on the ground.

However, the stock 6000coil cover is made from the softest material I have ever found for a "skid plate". It can easily be scratched with your thumbnail.

Maybe you should hardface your coil covers like you would with your buckets?😁

But seriously, I used pipe wrap tape on mine. It works well, but yeah, first time I felt I had to do that on the bottom of a coil.

The 6000 coils and skid plates both are made out of ice cream container material, nice and light but scratches with contact with anything and a terrible choice of plastic for coils regardless of their reasoning for using it, it's why it's now fashionable to cover your coil in tape to stop wearing a hole in it with your scoop, when have people ever done this up until the 6000?  Some have started little businesses getting stickers printed to cover the tops of the coil to sell thereby adding the weight back on some more durable plastic would have provided.

I'm sure Minelab don't mind their skid plates wear out in a matter of weeks, more money for them unless people buy the far more durable aftermarket Nugget Finder skid plates for their coils which I'd say it the way to go.

I've not seen anywhere in the manual or well, anywhere Minelab have indicated we should not be scrubbing our 6000 coils.  They said so with the GPZ but that was for ground performance not because it will cause the coil to spontaneously combust, the 7000 coils are tough.  I am a coil scrubber in grassy and soil type ground but I tend to avoid doing it in sharp rocky areas, some Aussies genuinely wear out skid plates in a matter of a few weeks as their flat ground is well suited to scrubbing.

I think Minelab just pushed the boundaries trying to make the lightest detector possible at the expense of durability and even then it's only just lighter than a GPX 5000, and by the time you put a carbon shaft on the 5000 and a Lipo battery there is very little difference for a far more robustly built detector, if anyone made an ice cream container coil for the 5000 you'd almost get it down to the same weight, there is really very little in it.  Yes it's more ergonomic but that doesn't have to come at the expense of durability.  I think First Texas (Teknetics) of all brands have proven a heavier detector can be a true pleasure to swing with their T2/F75 platform.  Try throw a bigger coil on the 6000 and see how ergonomic it is... lucky it's incapable of benefiting from running big GPZ style coils, a gentle breeze would make your coil do loops on the shaft 🙂

Stick, you're right, the silence is deafening.

Hopefully Minelab get back to me today about mine, I'm truly looking forward to having this crazy EMI issue fixed, if it does end up solving that problem and I can use the internal speaker and I get some coils I like I'm going to enjoy the 6000 for a small gold detector in instances when I want to benefit from the lighter detector than the 7000,  I've been quite brash about the 6000 as I've been so incredibly disappointed by it after it was so hyped up as a super detector and didn't meet my expectations at all, not even remotely, their performance star chart still makes me angry whenever I see it. marketing at its worst.  Hopefully it becomes the detector I want soon, EMI possibly fixed, good coils becoming available and I just need to find a decent aftermarket telescopic shaft and I'll be happy.

• Like 2

The 6000 is a great detector, one of the best ever made. I more than anyone do not forgive Minelab for the lack of quality control on this release. But sitting on detectors with problems, instead of getting them back to Minelab or the dealer for service or replacement, immediately, is not a great solution either.

• Like 4

Yea, I rode out my problems far too long and just stewed on them making me even more annoyed partly because my problems were normalized with most reporting similar problems, when does a problem become normal and not a problem?  Not this time, EMI issue hopefully gets resolved before they even release the notice in NZ.  If that's fixed and I can find a good shaft and get myself the little NF coil (eventually seeing it's the most delayed of the lot) then I'll be in for a treat a I think, the 6000 should serve me well then, I may find I like it a lot more than I think I will.

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Yep, just crickets from dealers.  I would assume temporarily muzzled until the fix is officially out?

The first thing a dealer would do after seeing this product notice would be to contact Minelab and finding out what's going on, so they've obviously been told to keep it on the down low until Minelab is ready to deal with it.  That's the only thing that explains the silence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, strick said:

Very interesting thred. Does a dealer care to comment? I’ve not seen one yet and this thred is over 2 weeks old. Surely they might have some intel on this? 

Strick

I doubt if all (or any?) dealers in the US were informed by Minelab prior to this thread coming out. It wasn't even clear the US repair center knew about this until after this thread was posted. This stuff is one part of the reason this thread exists because though some of us knew there was a fix, it wasn't clear after a year of talking about the problem if it was even available to us.

If Minelab corporate won't do the right thing after being shown extraordinary amounts of patience, customers will do it for them. And every time this post gets bumped up they get a prescient reminder of just that.

I would expect many dealers were kept in the dark just like us though.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But sitting on detectors with problems, instead of getting them back to Minelab or the dealer for service or replacement, immediately, is not a great solution either.

I happened to be in Bendigo on the weekend and dropped around to Miners Den as they are now an authorised service agent for Minelab.  

Left the box with the young fella there who said he would change out the speaker related component Monday (today) and send it back.  Saves me sending it all the way to a Adelaide.  Hopefully get it back this week so will be able to see what difference it makes.  

He did ask where I had found out about it - of course I said DP forum 😉

He said he has done a few over the last month or so. 

We discussed the cracked coil ears and I have decided I am going to keep the coil I have until it has about 6 month’s warranty left and swap it out then. Or earlier if they break.  It is a good coil with no other issues and I am wary of swapping it out for a dud - especially prior to W.A. next year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1