Arizona Outback And Finders Forums Gone?

1 minute ago, Reg Wilson said:

Finders was the oldest forum in Australia. It has fallen foul of sabotage from a most undesirable forum.

A lot of good posts from early days are there. Ken Roberts told me he was setting it up years ago. I visits for  ages before I join in the early 2000s. It seem to have gone through a few bad times were good poster left or died, from 2015 onwards and the new members that join to cause mischief. 

• Like 1

I just can't comprehend why a popular detecting forum would be discontinued. They are so easy to set up and maintain, there are millions of dollars to be made, they take very little personal time, the members are always appreciative and thankful for what little work that the owner must do to keep it popular and for the valuable information they get, and detectorists and prospectors rarely need their posts to be monitored or edited. 

Maybe Mr. H. could explain how this could happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Perhaps these sites are going the way of golf, baseball, newspapers, cd's, etc, etc? Even American football is starting to leave major TV networks for live streaming. The older users and fans of many once popular activities are being replaced by the younger generations. I have no idea if this pertains to metal detecting but just a thought.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Message forums come and go, this is the way it always has been. It usually starts when the members begin to come just to read and pretty much stop posting. When that starts to happen it makes for less interesting material to read, which causes even the readers to stop visiting.

One poster here mentioned about the being millions to be made with forums. I have no idea where that information comes from. It has not been my experience that there are millions to be made. Once a forum owner tries to implement any kind of fee, the forums dies. Even trying to get advertising income from manufacturers or others is virtually impossible.

The only way to keep any forum alive is for the members to participate, especially with posting frequently. Notice that these forums seem to flourishes, it is because of new content being posted and active participation from its members. Once that starts to diminish, these forums will go the way of the others.

Well stated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Finders was the oldest forum in Australia. It has fallen foul of sabotage from a most undesirable forum.

That's funny. I found Finders most undesirable. Was just a bitch slap most of the time & had little to do with gold or detecting from what I saw.

D4G

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

One poster here mentioned about there being millions to be made with forums.

That appeared to be tongue-in-cheek sarcasm.  Whenever Klunker posts, get your spoof antennas airborne.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

The only way to keep any forum alive is for the members to participate, especially with posting frequently. Notice that these forums seem to flourish, it is because of new content being posted and active participation from its members. Once that starts to diminish, these forums will go the way of the others.

IMO I think the owners of the forums should precipitate as well which I see a lack of :wacko: 

17 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

IMO I think the owners of the forums should precipitate as well which I see a lack of :wacko: 

When you see that happen, and more than just a few posts; it is usually the owner trying to liven up the posts and save the forum.