Sun Ray Inline Probe For The Equinox Announced!

Cal_Cobra

I'll Pass on the extra weight and extra 1/2'' in depth. If you learn your machine you'll very rarely be fooled by iron. I look at this way, Once you commit to digging a hole your digging a hole. At the 12'' mark I abandon all hopes of a non-ferrous target. (usually its 10'') My Carrot has served me well over the many years and digging that deep will get you lost permissions.

• Like 3

Sun Ray sold out a few years ago to a well known dealer on the east coast. As others have said, this will allow your detector discrimination settings, headphones and VDI to work with the probe. One thing to note is that it is not waterproof.

He’s expecting to start shipping to his dealers in October. 

Wayne

• Like 5

This interests me for a few reasons.
A couple of years ago, the subject of Sunray coils, and how they work, came up over on Geotech1 forum. I was working on building a version for my F75, which might also be duplicatable as a self-contained mini-detector.
But I also realised that my Equinox could also be suitable for a 'Sunray' ... for one special reason. Everyone knows the Eq has a 'security' chip ( and some other electronics gubbins ) inside the coil ... hence no aftermarket coils. But the key feature of a Sunray probe is that the original coil is STILL ATTACHED . This permits the trick of using the 'security chip' of the main coil, while connecting the Sunray probe coil windings up to the detector.

It's still quite a job to make a coil like this for the Eqx, so hats off to the engineers who did this. I never progressed to designing my own .. it was going to be larger, probably about 2.5" diameter.
  • Like 3

This looks very interesting for old parks and properties where you have to leave no trace and probe accurately deeper than 6-8 inches. And being able to use the detector's programs, discriminate, and hear it through the headphones would be awesome. I can't wait to see some videos of this in action.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

This looks very interesting for old parks and properties where you have to leave no trace and probe accurately deeper than 6-8 inches. And being able to use the detector's programs, discriminate, and hear it through the headphones would be awesome. I can't wait to see some videos of this in action.

That is how I use my Sun Ray probe to dig shallower, not deeper, holes. Digging any type of plug is not permitted on some of the properties that I hunt and the pinpointing mode on my MXT Pro can only narrow a target down to about a 1.5” radius.

Before digging anything, I will use my Sun Ray probe to get an exact lock on the target. This almost always works because of the increased depth of the Sun Ray. I’ll then take my Lesche and make a 1” slit incision directly over the target and extract it from the surface using a coin popper tool. This “surgical” extraction method leaves no trace of digging, even on finely manicured lawns.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, V3i/MXT Pro said:

That is how I use my Sun Ray probe to dig shallower, not deeper, holes. Digging any type of plug is not permitted on some of the properties that I hunt and the pinpointing mode on my MXT Pro can only narrow a target down to about a 1.5” radius.

Before digging anything, I will use my Sun Ray probe to get an exact lock on the target. This almost always works because of the increased depth of the Sun Ray. I’ll then take my Lesche and make a 1” slit incision directly over the target and extract it from the surface using a coin popper tool. This “surgical extraction method leaves no trace of digging, even on finely manicured lawns.

It's the same for me. No plugs allowed here, so I do the "SE" method too. Works great and it looks like this new Sun-Ray probe might be right up my alley. 😉

• Like 2

Be nice to not have to set your detector an arms length away.  Weight, could  be a useful counterweight!  Bought 2 detectors from them when they were in Iowa.  Glad to see new owners are keeping the inlines going.  

• Like 1

@Tom_in_CA

My hunt partner Tom loves the Sun Ray probe on his Exp2, and claims it's one of the reasons he's stuck with it for so long.  I've seen him dig some ultra deep holes and the Sun Ray definitely aided in the recovery.  Detecting depth is superior to a Carrot Top, full tones/disc of the detector, but I'll hold out for a wireless version on the Manticore.  I had one on my F75 LTD, it has it's pros and cons, but I agree that I don't want added weight and wires as sometimes I hunt in the thickest areas of the woods where you can barely move, and everything growing there either wants to kill you or your detector, grabbing for anything it can get, like coil wires, and wired probe wires alike.  I also recall some user inflected wounds when forgetting to flip the switch on the break-out box back to coil from probe, and you walk around for a few minutes thinking to yourself that it go very quite  🙄

• Like 1

Had one like that years ago on a Minelab. I can’t say that the probe wasn’t good but it added weight to the shaft that I didn’t need. 
 Now if it was wireless like my MI6 that I have with  my ORX I could see me going for it.

Chuck 

• Like 1

When I was young and strong weight wasn’t a problem but now the years is having a affect on me plus the weight of my detector is not helping. That’s why I look for the best lighter detector to detect with.

Here we’ve been talking about the new Manticore is less in weight than the Nox 800 and yet should be more of what we want in every way.

I think back how great it would have been to have say the Nox 800 back when. How much more time I could have stayed out in the field with it .

All I’m saying people is keep the weight off the shaft and you will be happier for doing it.

Take it from some old fart that’s been there done that!

Chuck 

• Like 1