Equinox 800 Cd Error Code And Repair Service

darksky10

hi everyone and I’d like to just share my experience with a problem that happened with my equinox 800. I’ve been using it on land for maybe three or four sessions and then I decided to go into a local bay and try my luck in waist deep water. I discovered that transmission to the headphones stopped when the pod itself was underwater, and I couldn’t hear anything through my headphones, so I had to go purely visual and look into the water at the pod itself as I hunted. Not a dealbreaker but after an hour or so, my pod gave me a CD error code  

While I wasn’t sure what that code meant,  I assumed it meant coil disconnect. I decided to leave the water and pack up.  Once I got home, the error code would not go away, and then machine would shut down.  After several tries the machine would no longer go on either. I unattached the coil connection to see if maybe water would come out I just couldn’t understand what was going on since the machine is rated for underwater usage, though not very deep of course. Ultimately, I had to send it away for repair  

I tried one company in the Midwest in the USA without response so then I saw that Detector Center in Pennsylvania also worked on equinox detectors and my detector was still well under the warranty since it was purchased in 2021

I just want to say that Mike was fantastic and the communication was surprisingly fast when I called on a Friday at almost 5 PM Eastern standard time and Mike answered the phone and was very helpful and I got the process started. Great news is that I got a new pod back in about 2 to 3 weeks (just to be sure, I sent the POD and the coil)  

I build optical systems as a profession and I do tech-support and I try to adhere to this type of standard myself, so I really appreciate it when others do the same thing and I was treated really well! Kudos to Mike and Detector Center for showing me that they really care about Detectorists! That said, I’d really like to know why the machine leaked, which is what was indicated because it gives me some trepidation about going back in the water with this unit. I do have an Excalibur II that I’ve used for many years. I have done my own repairs on that machine so that’s going to be my only water machine I suppose for now.

Any opinions on the Nox for pod submersion in water at maybe a foot or so? I will give Mike an email as well to ask about this  

Bluetooth connection to headphones does not work when the control pod is under water.  This is normal and not a detector problem. Get a pair of wired waterproof headphones for water detecting for both communication with the pod and so you don't ruin the non-waterproof bluetooth headphones.

• Like 2

Was your control pod replacement due to water ingress or some other problem? I saw where you stated that it leaked. Did Mike confirm that and if so where did it leak?