Anyone Here Dredge???

Hi all, I love to detect, but like to dredge for gold Can anyone tell me if a 2" Keens with a 2.5 horse moter  can run a air compressor for air on the dredge? I have a 3" but sometimes I just like to test to see what has washed in over winter. I don't run it wide open anyway, I am 64 and a bad back so I just take my time. If anyone has a 2" for sale  I have a friend that needs one and he can stop using mine.  I know Steve dredged a lot up North, may he can help.  Thanks  Dean

Hi Dean

I've done some dredging over the years. Some of it has been Colorado, Alaska a little and Wyoming with some high banking too. I like running a dredge but sometimes it's hard to find a place to put one i n the water.

Tell me where you live I may have something that could interest you.

Chuck

Hi guys, I live in OHIO, the gold here is small but if you get in the right place you can find a lot a day. Not going to get rich, but just fun for a old man. I have always wanted to go to Alaska but time was not on my side. Well I said I live in Ohio but I dredge there but I live just across the Ohio River on the Kentucky side. Chuck, I see you go by Ridge Runnner did you live back East? A lot of people back here go by that name.

I miss dredging…legally…those were great days.

I hope we all are helping to fund the efforts of those who

are fighting the stupid and ridiculous restrictions in place right now.

Keene makes a 2.5 horse Honda with an air compressor but for some reason they don't always show it in their online catalog. So ,you would have to have 2 of these small Honda motors on your dredge, one for the water pump and the other for the air pump. Altho, they have a 4 horse Honda that can handle both if I recall.

I am tempted to get one for my 2 inch dredge but don't like the idea of having river water in my mouth via the hookah thingie. There can be nasty bacterias in that water especially in warmer months. Brownies 3rd Lung also has a similar unit but the cost is triple what Keene wants.

Dean

All my family came from Ms. but been in Texas a long time. A friend gave me that name when CB's was a hot thing back in the 70's

Chuck 

High Dean, I would set up a separate motor with T80. I have a 4 HP Honda with P160 and T80 the weight would be to much for a Keene 2 Inch dredge.

If you only use it on occasion I would look at a DC powered air compressor. I would think that would work fine on the cheap side also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Compressor-Electric-DC-12V-Hookah-Diving-Yacht-Boat-Hull-Cleaning-Dredging-/272223869557?hash=item3f61ce9a75:m:mm0m4DcZ5iLjzKvhDtVaq1Q

Air-Compressor-Electric-DC-12V-Hookah-Diving-Yacht-Boat-Hull-Cleaning-Dredging

7 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

High Dean, I would set up a separate motor with T80. I have a 4 HP Honda with P160 and T80 the weight would be to much for a Keene 2 Inch dredge.

If you only use it on occasion I would look at a DC powered air compressor. I would think that would work fine on the cheap side also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Compressor-Electric-DC-12V-Hookah-Diving-Yacht-Boat-Hull-Cleaning-Dredging-/272223869557?hash=item3f61ce9a75:m:mm0m4DcZ5iLjzKvhDtVaq1Q

Air-Compressor-Electric-DC-12V-Hookah-Diving-Yacht-Boat-Hull-Cleaning-Dredging

That looks like a cheap death trap of a setup - snorkel in place of a regulator? No thanks...and I doubt that little compressor puts out even the 3 cfm you need at rest let alone support a working diver.