Finally Another Successful Ring Recovery..

On 9/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, Erik Oostra said:

It's been hard going in the ring recovery business for a while.. It hasn't helped that our local council has dumped about a metre of sand on top of the island's most productive beaches to counter erosion.. Despite the school holidays and a major surf lifesaving carnival last week, I'm only finding a few freshly dropped coins.. All this changed this morning when a gentleman contacted me on my ring recovery Facebook page with a very accurate description of where he lost his wedding ring.. Although I had to go for a scuba dive to recover it, the ring was exactly where he said he dropped it.. Using my trusty PulseDive it took about half a minute to find it.. He was a very happy fella and gave me a $50 reward.. Not too bad for less than a minute's work..     

Silver Ring - Horseshoe Bay 1.jpg

Great job - congrats on the recovery! Looks like platinum? You are a better man than I as I was offered $100 once for a return and didn't hesitate to accept it. 

20 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice recovery! 

I would've taken the $100 and not thought twice about it.  Factor in your experience, cost of your detecting gear, and scuba gear (how many detectorists also have the ability to scuba?) and I bet the ring looser wouldn't have had a second thought about the $100 finders fee.  Hopefully he leaves a nice feedback for you on your Facebook page.

I agree. Many years ago I took $100 for a ring recovery. I drove an hour to get to the beach at midnight to take advantage of the low tide. It took about an hour to find the ring. I split the $100 with my friend who told me the lost ring details. Right or wrong I'm sure I considered the persons apparent ability to pay the $100.

• Like 4