Hunting In Trash

Two days in a row I have been at sites where there was so much trash that I could not be sure of hearing good targets if they were there. The take from these places was less than usual even though the ground had lots of traffic and the junk that accompanies that traffic. I tried various settings and strategies with little success. I am left to wonder if someone is better at picking trash or if something about these places makes the Tarsacci less effective than usual. 

The only differences apparent were that the detector ground balanced higher than most local soil, there were less high tone targets, and there were many more crown caps than most places which accounted for most of the high tones there were. Very few coins at all.

Not much to go on. Any thoughts?

I would experiment with Black Sand activated & low levels of sensitivity & threshold using 6.4 kHz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCR said:

I would experiment with Black Sand activated & low levels of sensitivity & threshold using 6.4 kHz.

That is what I do already. Also salt balance on and play with ground balance to make trash work. These two places were somehow different, perhaps it is EMI. I have been both these places before and not had it be so hard, but EMI can be intermittent and hard to predict. Two different places on two different days would seem unlikely though, and I seldom have this problem with this detector anyway.

All my settings are made to take the shine off junk signals, but there is only so far to go with that. I listen to the junk for good signals, but in these two places for some reason there were no good signals rising above the junk.

One thing I always do when the detector has trouble like this, change the battery. It is a kindness to have two of them, one always is fresh. It makes a difference long before the display bars run out. This time that helped but did not change the take.

It is possible there were no good targets there, but that is unlikely. Almost everywhere I find old discolored coins at the very least. Also, the soil is very dry, we have not had a good soaking rain in a long time.

• Like 1

A couple more days of this leads me to believe it is the lack of moisture in the soil that is making the difference. Thinking on this, it seems possible that the ultra dry soil is uncoupling from the metal objects in the ground so nothing can be balanced out with the ground, nor weakened with settings that will weaken ground response. Almost like air testing is what I am thinking.

Could such a thing be possible? I do not recall ever seeing anyone talk about dry ground response with the Tarsacci in junky ground. It is the only variable that is different, as far as I can tell. Any other ideas would be most welcome. 

The thing is though, that in current conditions the ground balances higher than before in the same soil. This seems the opposite of what might have been expected, but is nonetheless true. 

I am a tech idiot, this is just something that came to mind. I have the settings down as low as they will go, which helps, but does not help enough. 

Interesting observations & thoughts. If you want to weaken the trash targets more you may have to scan with the coil elevated above the surface.

On 10/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, JCR said:

Interesting observations & thoughts. If you want to weaken the trash targets more you may have to scan with the coil elevated above the surface.

Yes, but then the targets are weakened also. Selective inhibition is better when it is possible. Lifting the coil tests good target sounds then. The rain is coming in a few days, we will see if it changes things. 

This is a problem I have not had before, not sure if it is the dry soil or not. It is the only thing that seems to make sense.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, Geezer said:

Two days in a row I have been at sites where there was so much trash that I could not be sure of hearing good targets if they were there. The take from these places was less than usual even though the ground had lots of traffic and the junk that accompanies that traffic. I tried various settings and strategies with little success. I am left to wonder if someone is better at picking trash or if something about these places makes the Tarsacci less effective than usual. 

Geezer, I'm afraid the lack of coins being used might have come to that site of yours.    And it's a shame that Gold and Silver jewelry have out priced their selves.     Folks just aren't buying them much.    Only tip I can come up with, find concession stands that still use coins.    Not much help but that's all I got.

The only differences apparent were that the detector ground balanced higher than most local soil, there were less high tone targets, and there were many more crown caps than most places which accounted for most of the high tones there were. Very few coins at all.

Not much to go on. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Are you using the standard over the 12" coil?  Its helped me over the years to concentrate more on less depth..... meaning turn your sensitivity down and work between the trash.  Ive went over areas with settings fairly hot..... then with them pretty mild and found i was hitting more old silver i just didnt know was there.  Im not a fan of the pings and pongs, something i hope gets changed.   No one machine is good for every site either..... switch to a faster response machine that may have a smaller coil.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, Dancer said:

The only differences apparent were that the detector ground balanced higher than most local soil, there were less high tone targets, and there were many more crown caps than most places which accounted for most of the high tones there were.

This is the odd part, I may have stated it badly. It is not a specific site problem, but something recent and unique. Best I can see, it has more to do with how dry the soil is. The junk shines more than usual making pulling out the good targets harder. I think the Tarsacci might do better in moist soil. We are in severe drought here, and all this started in coincidence with that. 

On 10/7/2022 at 2:00 PM, dewcon4414 said:

Are you using the standard over the 12" coil?  Its helped me over the years to concentrate more on less depth..... meaning turn your sensitivity down and work between the trash.  Ive went over areas with settings fairly hot..... then with them pretty mild and found i was hitting more old silver i just didnt know was there.  Im not a fan of the pings and pongs, something i hope gets changed.   No one machine is good for every site either..... switch to a faster response machine that may have a smaller coil.

I am using the 12” coil which I generally have better luck with. I hunt heavy junk routinely and it has been good so far. I always keep sens and thresh down to take the edge off the junk, the good targets come through clean no matter how low I set them.

There are some places where the crown cap population is too high to hunt this way with this detector, but usually I can deal with it better.

This is a recent phenomenon for where and how I hunt, and is different than how the detector hunted before. Moving to a beach where there is less junk and moist sand, the detector behaves normally. This is why I think it is the soil moisture. The ground here is powder dry if it is not irrigated.

I will update when the rain comes and see if things return to normal or if the detector itself may be at fault.

• Like 1