Minelab 6 Inch Or Coiltek 10x5 For Nox 600?

fogrider

I'm looking for opinions on the Minelab 6 inch vs the Coiltek 10x5 for my Nox 600. I search a lot of trashy and brushy sites.

Anybody have any experience with both coils? Any opinions?

Thanks.

Always keep in mind the surface area of the coil, the more coil surface the more likely two targets under the coil at once which isn't ideal.  In real junky areas I'd say the 6" is best.  In brushy areas the 10x5" probably has the most potential to get right up into places where a rounder coil may struggle.

They both have their advantages.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, CoinShooter1 said:

If you hunted trashy parks 99% of the time, would you prefer the Equinox 6" coil, or the Coiltek 10 x 5? 

Im currently using  the 6", and its great in my opinion.

But I also hear good things about the 10 x 5 option as well.

Additional depth is not really a concern, as the 6" is doing a great job on depth, in my opinion.

Just wondering if the Coiltek 10" x 5" would unmask equally as well as the 6", but also allow me to cover a little more ground.

Thoughts from those who have experience with both coils please....

So as not to be redundant and have the same people repeat their excellent insights, here is a very recent thread asking the same thing: https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19828-equinox-trashy-parks-coiltek-10-x-5-or-minelab-6/

I have the coiltek 10x5 not the M/L six but way back i had a 4" tesoro coil.  Super trashy i would feel better with the M/L six inch.  But i love the coiltek in the water and parks as i'ts shape helps a lot in trash.  Thats just from using the old tesoro golden umax with the 4", it could pick out good targets very well.   Your swings per step will double with the six but people really like it where modern trash hides good targets. Small coils in trash must like nugget hunting, ears get a work out.

• Like 1

Depends on the depth of target.

The Round 6" is better at separating in general, BUT keep in mind that with shallow targets with the 10x5 you can use the edge as basically a pin pointer, and with that edge sensitivity you can detect shallow targets right up against obstacles like rocks.

The one and only thing I do not like about the 10x5 is with two or more shallow targets and both narrow coil ends so sensitive at times it will pick up both targets with the edges, making it confusing to find the target if you do not know you have more than one.  That said I use the 10x5 90% of the time for getting into tight spaces and more coverage, and using the edge on end to pin point shallow targets is nice, and if that does not work than you know it is a deeper target.

17 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

So as not to be redundant and have the same people repeat their excellent insights, here is a very recent thread asking the same thing: https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19828-equinox-trashy-parks-coiltek-10-x-5-or-minelab-6/

Oops, my bad.

I searched for previous posts on the topic before I posted, but I typed "5x10" instead of "10x5" in the search window.

Thanks nonetheless for the responses. I think I'll go with the Coiltek 10x5 due to its ability to penetrate bush. We have a lot of alfalfa up here in the fields. Caragana was planted around many old homesteads in the past to act as a wind break. It really makes detecting challenging. I know in my heart that I'm missing targets with the stock 11 inch coil.

• Like 3

I pulled the trigger on the Coiltek 10x5. Should be here by the end of the week. If I'm lucky, I'll have 3 weeks of detecting before the snow hits. I'm looking forward to next years adventures.

• Like 5