The Hits Just Keep On Coming! Another Successful Ring Recovery..

Awesome Erik, AKA The Monk, Man your karma meter is off the chart. That will make her very happy. I think most people do not realize how much pain it is to lose a sentimental item, especially from a passed loved one. Sometimes it's the only connection that you will ever have.  If that's the case then you truly are a MONK. Great Recovery for a Great cause.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So It is said, So it be done, You Erik are the Metal Detecting Monk. Man that has to feel really good to return that ring. Not sure I would take money for that either. I'm sure every time she looks at that ring now, you will be included in those memories. Your a great detector and a great person!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great work and another great outcome for the people who you have found their rings for.

I know that they will never forget what you have done for them, and in such short time hunting for the rings.

Good luck and good hunting with many rewards for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best thing about this week's ring recoveries was that these people knew exactly where they dropped their rings.. The lady left hers in a hat underneath a tree alongside the beach when she went for a swim.. when she came back she put her hat back on and forgot the ring was in it.. She thought it had flicked out near the tree somewhere..

The gentleman's ring was a bit more tricky.. But he knew it was 'where the 3 little buoys on the shark net line up with the surf life saving flag on the beach'.. He'd felt the ring slip off his finger and straight away lined up where he was.. He and his kids had been duck-diving for about an hour trying to find it without any luck.. 

I've told both the kayak-hire dude and the surf life saving people how to get a hold of me through my Facebook page in case someone loses their ring.. The lady asked the kayak dude whilst the gentleman asked the life saving girl.. This awesome business strategy seems to be working.. Not yet ready to turn this sideshow into anything huge, but it's always good to help people get their rings back..

With most of the rings I've recovered so far, the owners have offered me what they thought my effort was worth.. I've never had to charge them for anything up front.. Their offers can be anything from a case of beer to a couple of hundred dollars.. I'm constantly surprised at how much rings mean to people.. and how much people are willing to offer to get their rings back..

All of this business interaction is without any hard feelings between client or salesman.. Both parties know that if I don't get their ring back then at least I gave it a go.. I've had people offer me just as much for having a go as actually finding their ring.. Either way its always done in a spirt of goodwill or having a laugh.. Can't get better than that.. 😁        

• Like 9

Awesome Erik, your recovery and return style is noble indeed, but sometimes when someone is offering you something it is kind of rude in some cultures to deny them, i think some people want to show how much money does not matter to them compared to the ring, so if you do not accept what someone is offering then you might be missing the point. Just something to consider, i know you do this with a good heart, and are a good example for others, but i also like to see people get what they deserve, so next time you find a lost ring, don't worry about whatever someone else offers, just accept you deserve it and you are making them happy by doing what you do!! ht 😁👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Awesome Erik, your recovery and return style is noble indeed, but sometimes when someone is offering you something it is kind of rude in some cultures to deny them, i think some people want to show how much money does not matter to them compared to the ring, so if you do not accept what someone is offering then you might be missing the point. Just something to consider, i know you do this with a good heart, and are a good example for others, but i also like to see people get what they deserve, so next time you find a lost ring, don't worry about whatever someone else offers, just accept you deserve it and you are making them happy by doing what you do!! ht 😁👍

I hear what you're saying Hardtimehermit but when I refuse their offerings I also explain that I'm not in it for the money.. For some people this is a very hard thing to wrap their head around.. But when they do, they all see it for what it is: just a bloke enjoying what he's doing, who's having a go for the sheer fun of it.. Taking money out of the equation makes the whole deal more about the experience.. If the owners are still on the beach where they lost their ring, I'll bring along a few spare detectors.. I set them up and we all have a go..   

I never really worry about how much people offer to recover their rings, jewellery, phones or keys.. Even when they don't offer anything at all, I'll still have a go at finding their valuables.. Sometimes it's obvious that the poor bugger can't afford much anyway but it's always the shouts of joy and relief that makes it worthwhile for me.. Plus I don't have to travel far to get to any of the popular bays, 10 minutes is the furthest..  

I flat out refuse all jobs where people are too vague with their descriptions of where they lost their valuables.. "Somewhere on the island" or "I lost it 9 months ago" get a polite refusal.. Sometimes I find their things anyway and post them on my Facebook page.. If the punter sees it there then good luck to them.. Likewise I rarely keep anything I find, whoever finds something in my 'junk box' that they like can keep it.. I'd rather someone enjoys the thing than it sitting in a box..  

• Like 7