GPX 6000 Vs. VLF Target Separation On Hot Ground Tip #4

Part 1 

My first attempt of a video, please excuse the sound on part 2, not sure why its cutting out.

These examples are for the hottest ground. The Equinox works great at target separation in low mineralized ground.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good example particularly on how poorly the Gold Bug 2 performs in and around hot rocks.  While the Equinox doesn't do particularly well in your video with the hot rocks it appears for me at least to do much better than that in my milder soils with hot rocks and gold separation.   You also show an example of how much deeper the Equinox is than the Gold Bug 2, something I also find. 

• Like 3

Interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

Good information and demonstration of the strengths weaknesses of different machines. 

People struggling to make consistent finds and looking to improve could learn a lot from information like this, understanding the relative performance of the various machines better. Basically any time I get a new detector I do almost exactly what you are doing here to see how it's performing relative to my older machines on a range of targets, and combination of targets/hotrocks and gold/trash at various depths in the grounds I am planning to work, with just about every combination of settings. I do that before actually swinging for gold, just so I know first where/how to best use new equipment and what it might be missing.

On a separate note, are you guys filming this with an entire laptop instead of cell/cam? Get 'er done any way you can, all for it! 

• Like 3

So can someone "summarize" the GPX6000/Part 2 video results for me regarding when to use the Difficult vs Normal modes?

Do I have it right to just run in Difficult mode all the time for best results in all soils or only when working in heavy mineralized soils and hot rocks?

I would say in milder soil use normal, some say with the 6000 difficult is no different or even better than normal in mild soils,  they've obviously never been in really mild soil, while the gap has closed between normal and difficult on the 6000 vs the GPZ on normal and difficult, normal is still better for depth and sensitivity on small targets in mild soil from what I've seen.  Difficult may prove better for certain nuggets though like was the case with the earlier GPX with timings like fine gold vs sensitive extra, even though sensitive extra was better overall on small gold in mild soils it also struggled more on certain nuggets that fine gold picked up well.

When things like hot rocks are introduced it all changes and difficult may become the better choice and obviously there is a point where the soil becomes worse than difficult will do better than normal.  I'm sure people in hotter soil conditions will say the opposite, use difficult all the time as you'll get better results, and I'm sure they're right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

So can someone "summarize" the GPX6000/Part 2 video results for me regarding when to use the Difficult vs Normal modes?

Do I have it right to just run in Difficult mode all the time for best results in all soils or only when working in heavy mineralized soils and hot rocks?

I usually try to run the GPX 6000 as sensitive as I can even putting up with some localized ground noise. I then go to difficult when the ground noise starts to create enough excess sound to mask small targets. Everyone's ground conditions vary, so I recommend experimenting with what's working best in your conditions with a small test target.

When running in difficult or normal timings and I get a signal, I switch the timings button to check if there is a significant change in target volume. If so, then I usually suspect it's a hot rock or just excessive ground noise.

I really like how the GPX 6000 can give a repeatable and recognizable sound on boot tacks and most whole square nails, these sounds differ from good non-ferrous targets. So, In old 1800's hydraulic pits where the majority of the rubbish you find is nails and boot tacks,  I now can patch hunt more effectively and avoid digging all these non desirable targets until I find a productive area and need to dig this kind of rubbish in order to unmask good targets. 

I also like the Coiltek 9" coil and it's smaller size, it seems to handle the hot ground fairly well in my serpentine areas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Ron are you updating the videos? Noticed you took them down. Thanks so much for the rest of the information running the 6000, really appreciate it!

On 10/3/2022 at 12:19 PM, phrunt said:

You also show an example of how much deeper the Equinox is than the Gold Bug 2, something I also find. 

This is mainly the difference between frequency and coil design/size. If the GB2 had a 6"DD round coil avail for it, the depth difference would drop dramatically between the Nox and the GB2. Both units have their place, but it seems more and more obvious that the Nox800 is superseding lots of older VLF's in multiple roles. 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, Dutchman4 said:

All depends on your soil conditions, experience with the 6000 will teach you lots....I find that running normal in Auto1 on old mullock heaps (as long as they are not steep) and tailings piles gives me terrific results. I am lucky coz I got a good 6000 with a good 11" mono coil. Once detecting on flat goldfield terrain here in Oz (with our high mineralization), I have to reduce the settings to Difficult and manual 5-7 usually. The difference in detect-ability for tiny, flat bits of gold is quite noticeable when changing up to normal mode. I think there is a 10% difference in finding the tiny stuff.....Difficult still provides great results on even pinhead sized gold, as long as the gold is solid and not just a flake. 

It could just be my 'take' on it, but I feel that the reduction in gain settings ONLY reduces noise and has no benefit in actual sensitivity. This is more obvious in the manual section of the gain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1