Do Detectorist Need A High End Multi Frequency Detector

The adverts say it's 90% detector and 10% operator.

The Experts say it's 90% operator and 10% detector.

As to how much a detector is worth paying for depends on the amount of time you spend using it.

The targets/finds depends on time spent searching and the selection of location and who got there before you.

In summary. Consider the time you will use it and how important your time is. If your use/value is high get the detector with the higher features and price. To justify your choice divide the price by the hours you would use it, if it is too high drop down a level or so.  REMEMBER you are the one that has to put up the cash. 

• Like 9

While you are doing your research on the D2 and M-Core, you should try the single frequencies on the Nox. The 4kHz frequency was added in update 3 for deep high conductor (silver) hunters. It may punch deeper for you than the Multi-IQ (SMF) modes are currently doing. Just a thought.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The targets/finds depends on time spent searching and the selection of location and who got there before you.

There have been some good replies on this thread but I think in some cases this last point "who got there before you" has been understated or ignored.  In my parks the ML (Simultaneous Multi-Frequency) Equinox in MF mode is a better performer for the deeper (say 4" and greater) coins than any of my single frequency detectors (or the Eqx in single frequency), and it matters.  The previous detectorists (most but maybe not all with single frequency detectors) have swept up most of the low hanging fruit.  A good single frequency detector in my soils will also pick up a deeper target, but the problem is it typically gives an iron signal.  I think eventually the Eqx's Multi-IQ will lose out, too, but there is a range of depths where it still gives reasonably accurate dTID's after the single frequency performers have lost that.

It's worth emphasizing that I say 'my parks'.  They have moderate mineralization but the effect is noticeable.  In clean, dry beach sand or ground with low mineralization the advantage of multifrequency over single frequency is diminished, as others have pointed out.  In my moderately (ferromagnetic) mineralized ground it definitely makes a difference.

• Like 6

I'm in what I believe is very low mineralisation and I find with single frequency detectors they do tend to ID deep targets as iron much sooner than Multi-IQ does, the Simplex is particularly bad at this but other single frequency detectors like my Teknetics T2 and At Gold for example are also guilty of doing it before a multi frequency machine will.

Gold prospectors are very aware of this as small nuggets do it too and it is very commonplace nugget hunting even with multi-IQ detectors.  It's just more common and noticeable for nuggets than coins and jewellery as you're often chasing very tiny nuggets which are far more susceptible to the problem.

I couldn't agree more with your post GB.

• Like 6

I have the Deus II and hunt in multi and single frequency modes. The one thing that matters most is having the right ground to detect on. A fancy machine will not find treasure where there is none to be found, though it may reduce the amount of trash you dig. 

• Like 4

I think manticore will fit my hunting needs/conditions from what i research, I mean the manicure give the sensitivity up to 35 and if its follow the same equinox sensitivity, seldom I used max sensitivity of 25 due to EMI and ground falsing. Hopefully the boosted EMI thingy works. Anyway I'll wait for hands on usage by detectorist when it come out. In meantime I'll hunt with my trusty buddy Mr Noxy. Thank you for the feedback. Happy hunting wherever you are. 

• Like 2

FisherSari....

1st question is.. can multi-frequency give better results than a single-frequency detector?..

Everything will depend on the terrain... because you also have conductive and mineralized terrain... So multi-frequency should give better results as a rule...

The second question is... can there be a significant difference between the current multi-frequency detectors? ...
Yes, this difference exists.., and on certain types of terrain, one multi-frequency detector can be significantly better than other multi-frequency detectors...

The last time it was confirmed to me was this weekend on a mountain mineralized test field.. where my colleague Prymek7 recently buried a kind of target line at a depth of 24 cm... - at the limit of detection .. for current multi-frequency detectors..

......Here it must be said... that this test showed differences in the detectors... also between different multi-frequency programs and also in single-frequency mode... 

.... some multi-frequency program will provide a greater advantage,, over another multi-frequency program or a single frequency.. also from the point of view of signal detection,, as well as from the point of view of the accuracy of VDI imaging of the deep target..

This was shown with the Rutus Atrex,,, where one type of multi-frequency worked a bit better and best on this type of terrain,, compared to the other multi-frequency mode or 1 frequency..

It was the same with Equinox.800, where it was shown that the Field 1 program really worked better and more stably in this mineralized terrain... compared to the Field 2 program.

in the test you can also see... how a large 15" goliath coil can really increase the depth of detection with the Atrex...,., and the detector was able to pass and detect targets just fine... even at the limit depth of 24 cm - for this terrain. .. So we will make an even more difficult line of 3 targets that we will bury at an extreme depth of 27 cm.. read this 3-4 bar mineralized terrain....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

FisherSari....

1st question is.. can multi-frequency give better results than a single-frequency detector?..

Everything will depend on the terrain... because you also have conductive and mineralized terrain... So multi-frequency should give better results as a rule...

The second question is... can there be a significant difference between the current multi-frequency detectors? ...
Yes, this difference exists.., and on certain types of terrain, one multi-frequency detector can be significantly better than other multi-frequency detectors...

Thx Slavomir for the video , I like the Rutus audio , it is very accurate with short signals , I like that ... and It goes deep ..  I agree they are important differences between detectors , not only in terms of electronics/depth separation performance but also in terms of mechanical aspects like weight/ergonomy etc .. 

Back to FisherSari question . Personally I have been testing VLF detectors during 10+ years now , almost all brands , and yes they are often important differences between them . Just like with cars or digital cameras .. And some are better than the others for your kind of hunting  

• Like 3

Thank you to Mr Elnino77 for the questions, video and information's that made me think. For now my conclusion are even the high end machines fighting/squeezing for the last detections depth. Maybe some machines have an advantage of few centimeter's more (or millimeters for that matter) of detection depth or  maybe some machines can get just a few millimeters more of accurate target ID at maximum target ID detection depth from other machines and I willing to pay hundreds or thousand of dollars for that centimeters. What is wrong with me....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should have said that SMF detectors have very similar depth performances in clean soils . The differences are more on separation/recovery in the irons and the mechanical ergonomy . Also some are better for gold prospecting , etc ... It all depends on what you plan to do with your detector ...

All my tests for coin/relic hunting in European conditions at Le blog Métaux-Détection (metaux-detection.fr)      , French language ..

• Like 2