Do Detectorist Need A High End Multi Frequency Detector

On 10/3/2022 at 11:19 PM, fishersari said:

For now my eyes is on XP Deus 2, because it abilty to choose much more single frequencies compare to minelab with the hope of the Deus 2 single frequency mode is similar with Deus 1 (as i read and watch video on deus 1) performance and tonal wise. For mild ground with dense iron I will be using the single frequency mode on deus 2. At least that is my thinking for now until the manticore been tested and review on this forum.

I am not about to tell you which detector or detectors to own.

I will say you seem to be doing very well with the Equinox 800. That was an excellent find that you photographed.

Also the Equinox did very well in the video provided on page 2 of this thread by Slavomir and its performance with those settings was very similar to what I see and the settings I use where I detect in high iron mineralization except that I like to hear the iron responses also if there are any. After owning, using and really liking Deus 2 Lite and the Legend, I believe they would also be able to detect the targets in Prymek7's video especially if Deus 2 was using its 11" coil and they were using their excellent  SMF technology.

As for do you need a high end detector versus an Equinox? I assume you mean would a Deus 2 or Manticore make a big difference and is it worth the extra expense. Again, as others have said, it totally depends on your hunting type=land vs submerged, soil conditions, amounts of natural and human made iron in the soil/sand and the type, possible depth and size of non-ferrous or ferrous targets you are most likely to be hunting. For many people, ergonomics really matter too as far as how long one can detect with or without fatigue.

I often hear these statements......90% detector/10% operator and the opposite 10% detector/90% operator and many variations of those equations thrown about. Where I detect most often, the detector makes all the difference and I just operate it and interpret what it is telling me. These latest simultaneous multi frequency detectors like the Equinox, Deus 2 and the Legend give me extremely accurate information about almost every target and they get the conductivity and ferrous or non ferrous right almost all of the time on coin sized targets down to the edge of detection of 9 to 10 inches on small USA coinage and is similar to Prymek7's video. Single frequency detectors and the Equinox, Legend and Deus 2 using their available selectable single frequencies may or may not hit those same 9" to 10" deep targets with some kind of audio response but they will absolutely not identify the conductivity of those targets accurately deeper than 4" where I detect. 

You mentioned all of the frequencies available on Deus 2 using its selectable single frequency Mono program. There are 49 of them. The default frequencies are 4.4, 7.5, 13, 17.1, 25, 32 and 40.4 kHz. There are 3 higher and three lower selectable frequencies on either side of the default frequencies ranging from: 4.0 to 4.7 kHz, 6.9 to 8.0 kHz, 10.3 to 15.1 kHz, 15.6 to 20.7 kHz, 22.0 to 28.5 kHz, 29.4 to 35.3 kHz and 36.3 to 45.4 kHz. It is very nice and helpful to be able to see the exact manually selected frequencies. Thank you XP!!! You only get to pick the frequency using this Mono program. The frequency shifts available in the FMF programs when performing a frequency scan do not include a display of the actual frequencies being used.

The Equinox 800 has 6 selectable single frequencies 4, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz. There are 18 other manually selectable frequencies for each of those 6 frequencies which can be accessed during the noise cancel procedure. They can be individually selected from -9 to +9. What those actual frequencies are/how big the increments are between each shift is not displayed for the end user. Also, I don't know if say choosing 40 kHz for example means that 40 kHz is the value of 0 in the -9 to +9 frequency shift range. Maybe Slavomir knows the size of those frequencies shifts and where they lie on the -9 to +9 scale.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, midalake said:

Yes, I do>and I DESERVE IT! 

Me too ... 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, midalake said:

Yes, I do>and I DESERVE IT! 

I would only add the word SOME between Do and Detectorist(s).

• Haha 3

I will just echo what has already been said. The Equinox 800 IS a high end multifrequency detector. Do you need something more expensive than that? Only you can decide. My Equinox does the trick for me.

And second, a Minelab Vanquish or Nokta/Makro Legend will fit any budget.The point being that Minelab was not really wrong when they said that single frequency is obsolete, and I recommend anyone looking at a new detector get a multifrequency model, at whatever price point you can afford.

• Like 7

Wow Nox 800 is high end machine? all this time I thought the nox is mid level machine. That put some things into perspective. I will hold of to buy another detector for now. I guess I need to think like IF I buy a another high end detector I'm paying for the features like 2D screen or XY screen, detail customise tones control. vibrating handle 🙄 etc. If its come with extra (even few millimeters ) detection/ good target ID at depth, its a pleasant bonus.

Another side of my brain said "just buy the goddam detector. Enjoy life while I can. Lets vs the ground and nature together"'.

Thank you again for all the response, information's and experienced.

• Like 3

I use a humble ORX and an x-35 9" coil and hunt in one frequency at a time and this year i have found  6 gold rings, and one nice gold pendant,  and numerous silver items, Hear is the deal  if you hunt an old house site or farm field, you will get an advantige with the deus 2,  but if you use a run of the mill machine you will not come home empty 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

I use a humble ORX and an x-35 9" coil and hunt in one frequency at a time and this year i have found  6 gold rings, and one nice gold pendant,  and numerous silver items, Hear is the deal  if you hunt an old house site or farm field, you will get an advantige with the deus 2,  but if you use a run of the mill machine you will not come home empty 

Several people have mentioned or implied that simultaneous multi frequency detectors do not outperform single frequency detectors in dirt. That is not my experience in the dirt I hunt in at all, it's not even close.

Different soil conditions I guess.

The good news is for anyone who wants to upgrade to one of those "high end" simultaneous multi frequency detectors, those detectors (like several people have mentioned already) will put you into several different selectable single frequencies with the push of a button. So the single versus SMF debate is really kind of pointless. You get the best of both sides of the argument with these newer SMF tech detectors since the Equinox, Deus 2, Legend and even the more humble Garrett APEX can also be easily operated in single frequency.

The ORX right now brand new, with WSA headphones and an HF coil costs more in the USA than an Equinox 600 or Legend, and $100 to $150 less than a basic Deus 2 WS6 Master and an Equinox 800 (until December 31st........) The features included on those detectors compared to the ORX are incredible. I am not dissing the ORX by the way just XP's price for the limited features included on the ORX compared to the other detectors mentioned in this post.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

... Your ORX right now brand new, with WSA headphones and an HF coil costs more in the USA than an Equinox 600 or Legend, and $100 to $150 less than a basic Deus 2 WS6 Master and an Equinox 800 (until December 31st........) The features included on those detectors compared to the ORX are incredible. I am not dissing the ORX by the way just XP's price for the limited features included on the ORX compared to the other detectors mentioned in this post.  

I agree,  the Orx and the Deus2 WS6 MASTER are in the same price range ( Orx 22 HF WSA 799€ , Deus2 WS6 899€ ) .   If I had to choose I would go for the D2 without a moment's hesitation ... The D2 is more performing for coin/relic hunting ; it goes deeper , it has a SQUARE audio , the multitone can be adjusted up to FULLTONES , etc ..

Unless you need the small 9X6 coil which is only available on the Orx/Deus1 ..

• Like 2