You Know, For An Old, Outdated Detector The Equinox Isn't Too Shabby

Good on you for taking the ol' dinosaur for a walk, he probably needed that. 😄 I agree, the Nox is a superb detector. I've been so immersed in learning the D2 that I've been neglecting my little Noxie. I need to take him back out for a walk soon. For the sheer joy of just turning a detector on and spanking coins and jewelry, you can't beat the Nox! 😎

• Like 3

😋 It doesn't have clock for Pete's sake!  Needs a bigger battery so I can add a cigarette lighter.  I love the thing.  Don't detect much lately but never felt under gunned with the nox. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's my favourite VLF and I can see that changing soon to the manicure but I'll always like Herbert my Nox, multi-iq was a real game changer for me and in ten years i would not be surprised if the ancient Nox is still better than some manufacturers flagships.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

The only downer for me was that I couldn't pull one single nickel despite digging a ton of 13's.  This slope had a lot of a certain type of old pull tab that read a solid 13 with good tone and they fooled me every time.  Anybody else run into these buggers?

I'm sure I've dug plenty of those, whichever ones they are.  The later(?) small pulltabs, both with and without the rivet, read in the nickel zone even with the beavertail attached.  The early larger ones are above that.  When the beavertail is alone and rolled up, it does show up in the nickel zone though.  When flat it seems to read nickel in the short direction but higher (14) in the long direction.  And most modern ('racetrack') tabs, when not broken or bent, read 14 for me also.  The 'popouts' -- part of the lid of the modern cans that is pushed out of the way by the tab when opening -- is also in the nickel zone.  Why someone went to all the trouble to remove that, unless it was to annoy us detectorists, has me baffled.

All of the above experience for me is in Park 1 (or Field 1) with recovery speeds of 5 or 4.  Park 2 and Field 2 with recovery speeds 6 or higher will usually give a tell on the beaver-only tabs, with a lot of 11's mixed in.  But I only use that for stronger signals.  With depth the dTID's spread out more and it's unreliable to use that trick.  Many of my Buffies show quite a bit of 11 mixed with 12& (usually) 13 in the Park 1 and Field 1, slower recovery settings.  The faster settings I use in Park 2 and Field 2 are even worse at distinguishing between nickels and beavertails, for me in my soil, anyway.

• Like 4

Once the Manticore joins my arsenal, the EQX800 will eventually be relegated to my backup machine, with the Legend being the cleaner machine.  Once I get the Manticore I'll likely do a few 50/50 hunts to compare notes with the EQX800, and the Legend.  Our relic sites start to open up in a few months, we're fortunate to have so many top notch SMF machines to ply to the trade 🙂

• Like 4

Love it! I just pulled out over $5 in nasty old clad among the pull tabs at a campground with the trusty 600. 😀 I couldn't dig the deep stuff because no shovel, there are literally hundreds of coins there.

It was my first "real" detector, it will always be handy as a pillage machine.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Love it! I just pulled out over $5 in nasty old clad among the pull tabs at a campground with the trusty 600. 😀 I couldn't dig the deep stuff because no shovel, there are literally hundreds of coins there.

It was my first "real" detector, it will always be handy as a pillage machine.

I have a friend that lives by a popular beach campground, and hoovers up tons of coins, including an occasional silver coin or ring. 

• Like 3

On 10/3/2022 at 8:41 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

I hunted a slope by an old merry-go-round in Griffith Park, a spot that has been hit and hit and hit and hit for many years. 

I went there once with a friend about 6 months ago.  He found a silver dime with his 800!  I found a few coins.

There was an old bus stop near there that a friend of mine hit there many years ago and it was all silver!  He's told me stories about it.  It is difficult to know a dig hole around there vs the gopher holes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...