Devil's Tongue Park Probe Hunt At A Campground

• 5 weeks later...

The devils tongue probe is interesting but I'm trying to understand how you use it...do you cut a smaller plug with it or is it supposed to pop the target out of the dirt or what? I was trying to find a vid on it but was not having any luck

6 hours ago, Shojo510 said:

The devils tongue probe is interesting but I'm trying to understand how you use it...do you cut a smaller plug with it or is it supposed to pop the target out of the dirt or what? I was trying to find a vid on it but was not having any luck

It's for targets that are detectable with a hand pinpointer for the most part, the idea is to only disturb a small area. It will pop very shallow items out. Once I took it out of the hole I made with it and it had the ring around it! 😀

Once you have the object pinpointed you can do a few things, either press it in a few times all around the object, and then lift the "plug" out, or just go in from one side and lift. You can also scrape hard pan dirt, use it to get in crevices.

Because of its size you will sometimes feel the object, but be careful, you may scratch it. Always try to go in from the side. At the beach I would hear a click when I hit an object. In salt environments be prepared to oil it when you're done, I use WD-40. You should do it anyway but especially there. None of my steel diggers have any rust on them.

When I can dig, I'll use my plug shovel, but if I don't want to even risk a visible hole I use the probe. Campgrounds can be pretty picky about digging in grassy areas. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Campgrounds can be pretty picky about digging in grassy areas. 🙂

Its funny the nice grassy areas that are reasonably watered seem to be the place where I can make the cleanest holes with my hand tools...to the point where once my plug is flipped back in you can't recognize any plug was made...I also employ the towel to catch the dirt coming out of the hole so there is little to no trace of fresh dirt. However in those less than ideal areas  or areas of ultra scrutiny a smaller plug or opening is definitely ideal 👍

Thanks for the details on the park probe. any opinions on straight versus angled blade?

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Once I took it out of the hole I made with it and it had the ring around it! 😀

That must have been a good size ring!  or maybe my perception of the size of the probe is mistaken 😉 

1 minute ago, Shojo510 said:

Thanks for the details on the park probe. any opinions on straight versus angled blade?

It's a matter of preference, he also makes a 12" version for those hard to reach targets. On that one if you get the curved tip it makes a nice backscratcher 😏

I like the curved one because it does provide a bit of extra digging power in tighter spaces.

It's not as wide as my thumb, about the same width as my index finger. I think that was intentional. It wasn't that big of a ring, and what a surprise when the pinpointer stopped beeping and I hadn't seen it! 🤣

Here's a great holster for the short one, I sent one to kac because it was so cool and he was nice enough to send me one to evaluate permanently. 😀 Costs more than the tool! 😁

https://www.amazon.com/Occidental-Leather-5032-Tapered-Holster/dp/B000KL56FS

• Haha 1

Sounds like a great tool, and I have been having a hard to scratch itch creeping up on me...a win win!

and thanks for the link to the holster

HH

• Like 1