Seated Liberty Quarter 1838

Nice early date. Super find. You never know how those coins end up in parks. Maybe someone raided the family coin collection or it was stolen from a house break? Maybe some dirt was brought in from an old field or house site to level out a spot in the park? But in any event.... you got it and that is awesome. 😍

• Like 2

Fantastic find troy!!!  That's definitely one of the cleanest (dug) seated quarter's I've ever seen. The dime you got is pretty awesome too. I've found some good coins in strange places over the years and will always wonder how they got there. Great Job!!!

Couple of cool facts of 1838

The telegraph machine was unveiled in New Jersey

US Mint in New Orleans started dime production

Paul Mauser, famous weapons designer was born June 27th

William Clark of the famed Lewis and Clark Expedition passed away on September 1st.

• Like 2

Great find!  Condition looks to be Extremely Fine, except for that obverse ding around 3-4 O'Clock.  This appears to be a strongly struck coin.  First year of that design.  You may never again find another one with condition this nice, but I hope you do.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, Troy E said:

This was only 4 inches down.  Was my second dig.  I can’t believe this was missed.  Possibly, the other detectorist thought it was a modern coin that’s why it was left.

I doubt they intentionally passed over this.  More likely they just didn't get the coil over it.  Either that or it was masked or on edge and they didn't get a good signal for one of those reasons.  Regardless, their loss is your gain.  😄

15 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Great find!  Condition looks to be Extremely Fine, except for that obverse ding around 3-4 O'Clock.  This appears to be a strongly struck coin.  First year of that design.  You may never again find another one with condition this nice, but I hope you do.

I doubt they intentionally passed over this.  More likely they just didn't get the coil over it.  Either that or it was masked or on edge and they didn't get a good signal for one of those reasons.  Regardless, their loss is your gain.  😄

They might of been picking up iron with a large coil and just thought it was falsing.   I dig iffy signals in these areas, that’s the only reason I found a large cent a couple weeks ago.  I’ll be out there this weekend, that’s for sure.

• Like 2

Found this button couple days before the quarter.  Not sure how old it is, but was coming up a solid 15 on the Nox 800.  Pretty sure I saw one cent on the penny but it’s in bad shape, and the bullet seems fairly recent.

43865B90-CEFA-4810-B2CB-FB5AD8E489AC.jpeg

01941B88-C75A-4BBA-AF67-47C884777644.jpeg

• Like 4

Well done! Nice patina on that old quarter. I bet you were pretty pumped when you dug it up. It's always a thrill to see a vintage silver coin pop out of a plug.

Hopefully you'll find more like it......  😎👍

• Like 1