Help Me Choose Between Deus 2, Equinox 800 And Manticore

I would agree that the Equinox 800 is hard to beat for starting out or getting back into detecting. That's what I did. It is so easy to use right out of the box and it is advanced enough to grow with you as you learn the machine and want to customize settings for your areas. I got the Deus 2 later and it is a more complex machine, but also comes with turn on and go preset programs that work great for starting out.

The Nox's tech is not out dated, in fact it the one that caused all the other companies to spend years trying to copy and have just got theirs out to buyers this year. The Manticore is not a newer tech Equinox, but a higher end detector with tech from the Nox and CTX in it.

And as dogo pointed out, there really is no best detector, so concentrate on what will work best for you in your conditions to find the kind of targets you are looking for, will be easy to get going with, and for a price you can live with. 

• Like 5

I went back to the shop today and tried both Equinox 800 and Deus II again. I really like the simple user interface on the Equinox. But it didn't feel right in the hand. I really like the design of the Deus II where the detector becomes an extension of your arm, partly because of the lower weight but also because the rod is not just straight but more like a "2". I don't get why the Equinox series and the upcoming Manticore doesn't have this design, when MInelabs cheaper Vanquish models has the same type of rod as the Deus. This is so much better ergonomically (at least for me).

I finally settled on the Deus II and bought it. My choice was almost only because of the lighter weight and how it felt in my hand.

Thank you for all you thoughts on this subject :).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Highland said:

I went back to the shop today and tried both Equinox 800 and Deus II again. I really like the simple user interface on the Equinox. But it didn't feel right in the hand. I really like the design of the Deus II where the detector becomes an extension of your arm, partly because of the lower weight but also because the rod is not just straight but more like a "2". I don't get why the Equinox series and the upcoming Manticore doesn't have this design, when MInelabs cheaper Vanquish models has the same type of rod as the Deus. This is so much better ergonomically (at least for me).

I finally settled on the Deus II and bought it. My choice was almost only because of the lighter weight and how it felt in my hand.

Thank you for all you thoughts on this subject :).

You did a very good choice , the D2 outperforms the competition in terms of weight/mechanical ergonomy and it has excellent electronics as you will see , you cant go wrong with this detector ... 

I would suggest to begin with the GENERAL nr1 mode to get used to the detector , it is the easiest mode to learn for beginners .  After a few weeks/months , try other modes like SENSITIVE which is much more reactive/performing in the irons . Personally I prefer the SQUARE audio to PWM , but its up to you to decide which audio you prefer ...   

Happy Hunting in Sweden 🙂..

• Like 3

From someone who just started this hobby last Nov, I can say from a new person perspective that everyone replying to your post gave great advice.  I started down the same path as you last year and opted for the Legend and the D2.  I have mild to moderate mineralization and search for mainly coins and jewelry and was initially concerned with all the posts about the D2 being an advanced and complex machine.  After having used both the Legend and the D2 this summer, I have to say that of the two, I prefer the D2.  Not because of performance but because I just seem to click with it better than the Legend.  However, as the summer has passed and I gain more experience with both machines, Im finding that depending on what Im looking for or where Im searching, determines which machine I use.  I really enjoy both machines and wouldn’t get rid of either one.

Since you purchased the D2, If you do some research and play with it, you’ll find that it isn’t as overwhelming as you were probably thinking it was going to be.  Couple things that I did that helped me…..I read many, many posts about the D2….many from the same folks that have already replied to this thread.  Also, and I dont know if this was even a good idea or not, but I did it anyway….I made a small test garden with multiple coins, iron nails, jewelry, trash etc at different depths.  I then spent many hours just playing with each program and all the different settings for that program until I found the programs and settings that best suited me.  Additionally, playing with all the settings like that, also made me understand what each one does and the effect it had on other settings.  The one big thing I do appreciate on the D2, is that it reverts back to factory settings once you turn it off, unless you save the program.  

Hope this made some sense and congrats on your purchase, go out and have fun.  There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and everyone is genuinely interested in helping, which I greatly appreciate.   

• Like 8

Well, the decision has been made by forum member Highland, and I doubt there was a wrong choice.  Congratulations.  But I will answer directly a question (and implication) about the Manticore, both generally and specifically:

1) No one except a few (potentially biased) insiders has really given this as-yet-to-be released detector a good workout.  As such we don't really know about its actual performance until it gets released and lots of people (in lots of different environments!) get a chance to work with it.

2) Minelab caught (and continues to catch) considerable grief for some shortcomings of the strength of the Equinox.  In particular the leaking control pod was a big one.  If they haven't remedied that for the Manticore there is going to be hell to pay, not just from users but from their stockholders.  If they are halfway smart (and everyone gives them at least that much credit 😏), the problems with the Equinox will not be present on the Manticore.  From the videos with engineer Mark Lawrie, it's been said multiple times that the leaking issues, coil ear problems, and uncomfortable grip have been addressed & remedied with the Manticore.

3) (This point may be controversial and worse, overstated.  So I'll emphasize it is just my opinion.)  Don't trust side-by-side comparison videos for performance.  Even if the bias is unintentional, there will be bias.  The soil's ferrous-mineralization/salt/moisture are all biases.  The detector settings are a bias.  The targets are a bias.  The density of trash is a bias.  The coils are a bias.  And in most cases the person doing the video is not equally expert with both (or multiple) detectors.  It's an impossible task.  Everyone has their preferences/likes/dislikes and only the individual end user can figure out what's best for him/her.  Worst is when someone has a favorite and/or one he doesn't like, or even other detectorists he doesn't like and gets a thrill from trashing that person's detector.  (This last part will remind some here of a comparison video creator or two.  😄)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MFF18B said:

Also, and I dont know if this was even a good idea or not, but I did it anyway….I made a small test garden with multiple coins, iron nails, jewelry, trash etc at different depths.  I then spent many hours just playing with each program and all the different settings for that program until I found the programs and settings that best suited me.  Additionally, playing with all the settings like that, also made me understand what each one does and the effect it had on other settings.

IMO, that sounds like an excellent idea and well worth your effort.  The big plus with such controlled tests is just that -- you are in control of the target types, orientations, and locations.  The big minus (but only for those who fail to realize this) is that it's not a perfect proxy for what happens in the field.  Many factors, such as soil compaction, soil moisture, and the unknown 3-dimensional location effects of multiple targets in view cannot be duplicated.  Add to that the fact that you know exactly where the test garden target is and you can keep trying until (unless too deep) you get a signal.  In the wild you are flying blind and a deep but detectable target can be missed if you don't get the coil's sweetspot (typically coil center) directly over it.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MFF18B said:

... and was initially concerned with all the posts about the D2 being an advanced and complex machine....

No it is not a complex machine . The only thing to know is to start with the GENERAL nr1 factory mode , this even for an experienced user . It is what I did when I received my D2 btw , spending a few hours with GENERAL to learn the D2 audio before trying other modes ...

Of course a total beginner will need a longer time to learn GENERAL ( a few weeks or months ? ) than an experienced user who already knows the D1 for example . 

Long story short GENERAL is a good school for learning the D2 to my opinion ... 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Manitcore is not here. 800 good machine but very chatty on land, XP Deus II is here and is what the 800 should have been.

• Like 4

Highland,

Great post, and welcome to the forum BTW!

Had to both laugh, and be proud, of all the awsome responses you received to your post! Just goes to show you that you are among great people here, who love to share their knowledge with others! There are only a few "good" forums around, that you will find this kind of great information, without all the infighting BS, and pettiness!!

Only "bone" i have to pick with what you said, was one detector for 8-10 years!!🤣 I think we all started out that way, and you may be able to pull it off, but if you stick with this hobby, I seriously doubt you will have bought just "one" detector in that time span! Like trying to eat just "one" potato chip!😂

I'd have to say, by your rapid decision, you already had a good idea of the detector you felt was "just right" for you, and got quick, and thorough enough confirmation to pull the trigger in rapid fashion!! Congratulations, and good luck🍀 with the Deus 2 , and the hobby! Hope you find a bunch! It's great fun!!👍👍

☆BTW, if you haven't heard it already, check your local "Detecting Laws", and try to be low profile, and fill all your holes neatly! Look up "Detecting Edicate" if you are unfamiliar!!🍀

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Help Me Choose Between Deus 2, Equinox 800 And Manticore

I will give you the same advice I gave to budding photographers when they were asking me for advice on different cameras: Put your hands on it, close your eyes and see how it feels in your hand. Are the controls intuitive? How is the texture in your opinion? The grip? Forget about the make & model etc. as the competition is so stiff now that barring water resistance, you cannot go wrong with your purchase as most machine are VERY similar.

At the end of the day, buy the one that talks to you, your hands will tell you, THAT is the one you should get because you will be hands on with it for hours at a time. There is noting worse than buying something because it has a certain feature the other one did not BUT you don't use it as much because of comfort level.

Comfort can mean many things to many folks, some prefer the texture, others prefer the ergonomics or the "handshake" when you grab it. Comfort trumps features every time, because you will be more active with a machine you WANT to use rather than the you one you purchased due to a certain feature but does not feel as welcoming in your hands.

• Like 5