Campground Produces A First For Me

Nice work 350 those Rosevelt silver dimes are not all that common for some reason...your making me want to do a park hunt now something I've not done in a while...keep posting. 🙂 

strick

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well done!

One reason some seem to find more Mercury dimes than "silver" Roosevelt dimes is Mercury dimes were minted more than 10 years longer (29 years)  than the "silver" Roosevelt dimes (18 years), so there's probably at least 1/3 more Mercury dimes put in circulation.

• Like 4

Isn't it weird that you can go and find seated coins but not a silver Roosevelt.  That's just how it goes sometimes, consider yourself lucky 😄 Detecting has those "I can't believe I can not find that coin type yet" moments. Some people would kill for seated, but on the east coast they are common enough to get quite a few after a couple of years hunting.  So congrats on finding your first silver Roosevelt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, strick said:

Nice work 350 those Rosevelt silver dimes are not all that common for some reason...your making me want to do a park hunt now something I've not done in a while...keep posting. 🙂 

strick

Gotta get out there early tomorrow, car show. I think we will extend a day so I can tear it up Sunday.

It was an additional surprise to get a key date, I didn't notice it until After I posted it. 🥳

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Isn't it weird that you can go and find seated coins but not a silver Roosevelt.  That's just how it goes sometimes, consider yourself lucky 😄 Detecting has those "I can't believe I can not find that coin type yet" moments. Some people would kill for seated, but on the east coast they are common enough to get quite a few after a couple of years hunting.  So congrats on finding your first silver Roosevelt.

I've been taking a beating over not finding one 🤣 A friend says he's found lots of them. That's in the bag now, really want a standing liberty next. Chase got the only one I've ever seen back home. 🤣

• Like 2

1949-S is second lowest mintage of the Roosevelt series meant for circulation (i.e. not including some of the proofs).  And to find one on the East Coast is much tougher than the guys out in the Far West deal with.

45 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

One reason some seem to find more Mercury dimes than "silver" Roosevelt dimes is Mercury dimes were minted more than 10 years longer (29 years)  than the "silver" Roosevelt dimes (18 years), so there's probably at least 1/3 more Mercury dimes put in circulation.

Good thought, but actually that's not the case.  The Roosies saw much higher mintage per date+mintmark.  For example, only five date+mm Mercs had 100 million or more struck (and all during WWII).  Compare that to 18 date+mm's for the Roosies.  The highest single mintage for a Merc was the 1944 (plain) with 231 million struck and only one other -- 1942 plain exceeded 200 million.  Four of the Roosie date+mm combos exceeded 300 million:  1962-D (335 M), 1963-D (421 M), and the two way out in front -- 1964 (plain) with 933 million and 1964-D with 1.36 billion!  (The 1965's were delayed because Congress was figuring out how to screw us detectorists and stop minting with silver.  😠  So they just continued minting 1964's for almost an extra year.  In addition, they were fighting a shortage battle and chose to seriously increase the number of coins minted per day.  Mission accomplished.)

I've hypothesized that the fact that silver disappeared from circulation by the early 1970's, there was more time for Mercs to be lost (50+ to 20+ years depeding upon the date) compared to the Roosies (20+ to 6+).  Don't know if that's the reason, though.  Interestingly I've found a lot more Roosies, relative to Mercs, in the last couple years -- 16 to 8, but the Mercs still lead 29 to 23.  Randomness is always messing with us....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

1949-S is second lowest mintage of the Roosevelt series meant for circulation (i.e. not including some of the proofs).  And to find one on the East Coast is much tougher than the guys out in the Far West deal with.

Thanks GB! Hoped you'd catch this one. 🙂 I didn't bring my coin book because I never find anything older here, although the modern coins may have some value, they get tossed in the bank bucket 😀

Definitely a "go big" find among Roosevelts.

The first time I hunted this place I did find some wheats. 🤔

• Like 2

Thank god you finally found one!!! I've been pushing the Rosie joo joo your way for a while. It always feels really good to conquer a coin on your list. No matter what it is. Great job!!!!! There is more headed your way.

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1