Fairground Parking Area

Definitely a good spot to check. Also see if you cam get permission on the fair grounds. I recently got a ton of finds at a small fair. It's worth a shot. 😉 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kac said:

If you can't get permission you can always put a pair of running shoes on and carry a police radio.... should give ya 3 min head start 🙂

Old parking areas can have a lot of older deeper finds. Take your time and listen for the deeper stuff.

that should be enough, just disappear in a nearby wooded areas. Police won't hunt for you in the woods. Most police don't consider these alleged offences worth their while and a murder or rapist collar will enhance their career. A wayward detectorist, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm camping at my local fairgrounds , detected once so far..for about an hour. w/11" nox coil 

A memorial penny , a big square nail , some small screw in light bulb bases, one screw off bottle cap , a modern round nail and a couple of pieces of mystery junk. 

Wish I had more time to dig but getting rig ready for ......the "arctic return" of East Coast Alaska mode.

I need to return to a spot with the 6" that lit up the machine like a steel deck ! 

There be history here  ,,,gotta find some oooooooooie !

Good Luck on your site !

• Like 3

and I complain about hunting in Atlanta. We can basically hunt year round except for maybe 2-3 weeks in winter and summer when it is just too, too cold or too, too hot.

If the property is publicly owned (here in Indiana they are county property), there are no signs prohibiting entry (or detecting), and there are no fences blocking you from entering, I say go for it.  Here in my county the entire fairgrouds is fenced in.  Even though sometimes the gates are unlocked (for activities) I haven't tried detecting it as the gate is otherwised locked.  Clearly they don't want unofficial visitation although in my case asking for permission wouldn't be a bad idea.

Here are my thoughts regarding parking areas:  (except for the modern electronic keys which don't need to be inserted) where do people keep their car keys?  Where do people keep their loose change?  You can take it from there.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2022 at 4:47 AM, RickUK said:

Any location that has folks walking to or from a venue or at the actual venue you will stand a chance of folks dropping mainly money i would have though,but also possibly rings or lucky charms could be dropped,these are the classic locations that folks drop thing......i went to one place that in theory i did not have permission it was a funfair location so was hunting for spendables that was basically just laying on or near the top,so i casually put my Deus elliptical coil in a carrier bag my itself and my controller in my pocket with a small single earphone and walked around discretely around the field picking the odd coinage up.

Must admit it did work reasonably well but only done it the once,not the best setup but the coil was just a couple of inches off the floor but it did work.

That’s genius!!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, jim tn said:

There should be stuff there. If its part of the fairgrounds why would you need permission? HH Jim Tn

That's what I was thinking.  If they're public fairgrounds, then ..... why subject yourself to the potential of :  "no one cared UNTIL you asked psychology" ?    

I realize that a lot of fairground are only open (unlocked) at event times.  Ok, fine then :  Go the day after the fair, when the cleanup crew is there, and the gates will be open. 

I work in the street sweeper industry, and we do a lot of post-event cleanups .  Including at our local county fairgrounds, the local race-track, etc....  And .... I never once had the notion that I "needed permission".  🤔  Since when is md'ing so dangerous or risky that it needs someone else's princely sanction ?  🤔  The mere fact of thinking you need to ask, simply cast aspersions on you or the hobby, that you thought you needed to ask, in the first place.  Ie.:  No one "asks" to do benign harmless things.   So the moment you think you need to ask , is the moment you've already put your issue in a bad light.  Ie.: as if it's harmful or dangerous or whatever .  Lest .... why else would you be asking if it were benign and harmless ?    I happen to consider the hobby innocuous and harmless.   And I will not risk the "no one cared TILL you asked" phenomenon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was hunting in a public local park and a few time a park maintenance guy would kick me out. The police didn't care that I was in the park detecting. I had to start detecting there on Sunday when the park worker wasn't there. One person walking through asked me if I had permission to do that. 

I got a lot of coins out of it. IH's, Wheats and one Morgan dollar in the flowers next a walk path. 1 Fish Scale Canadian silver nickel and no more silver coins. Was using a Sovereign XS2 w/8" coil. I never went back with the newer detectors.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

... I had to start detecting there on Sunday when the park worker wasn't there....

Exactly.  Why this notion that we need to please every-last -person on earth ?  If there's a singular lookie-lou busy-body that "doesn't like it", then ...... presto :  Avoid that singular individual.  Problem solved.   Kind of like nose-picking :  You can run around trying to get everyone to approve of you picking your nose, OR you can opt for more discreet times so as not to offend the squeamish  🙄  🤣

We had a park like that in San Francisco that was giving up silver years ago.   But a certain man in a business suit booted me one day.   Then a week or so later, my friend told me he too got scrammed.  We compared notes and realized it was the same fellow.   And we put 2+2 together and realized he worked in the public worker building that was next to the park (requiring him to walk through the park to get to-&-from his office).   So we merely looked up the operating hours of that particular office, and merely detected outside those hours.   Eg.: After 5pm, or on weekends, etc.... Problem solved.  

I do not interpret every single "scram" as necessarily meaning that it's illegal, or that I have to "fight the scram" or "seek clarification".  Instead it often simply means :  Avoid singular said individual.  😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:54 PM, Rick N. MI said:

A fairground by me has a large dirt parking area. Would that be a good location for jewelry? People get out of there cars and walk to the fairground.

If it's not posted as to No Detecting, go for it!  Good luck!

• Like 2