Deus 2 Diving Mode Problems? Not Picking Up Small Items, Chains Or Thin Rings

TTT2866

(TL:DR)  Dive program, discrim 0, sensitivity 88, salt sensitivity 8. Detector wont pick up small items. I've found multiple rings on the surface and it seems to struggle with chains and earrings. My Equinox picked up the same targets it is missing. Any ideas? 

Hi all, 

I've been using the Deus 2 for about 2 months and I've found plenty of gold jewellery in the sea, lots of coins and whatnot. The only problem is on the last few dives, I've actually picked up at least half of the gold rings from the surface or found them on accident. 

A small 18k band was found yesterday by chance as it was in the same hole as a 303 casing. A platinum/18ct "art Deco" 10 diamond ring was also found on the surface and the Deus barely made a sound when swung over it (it was a very wiry ring, pic below). I've also just simply spotted a few plain gold bands in the rocks. 

The issue is I feel like I'm missing a lot of targets, I would've 100% missed that platinum ring if I didn't see it on top. When I tested it on the equinox on Beach-2 it picked it up perfect at a solid 1. I've only found 1 chain and it was a very thick brass plate chain and it was a super faint scratchy signal @ 2-3" down. I spotted a 9ct oval shape earring in the rocks too which when swung over, didn't make a sound. 

I'm running Dive program, discrim 0, sensitivity 88, salt sensitivity 8. Could I be using the wrong modes or settings or something? As of now, the smallest thing I've really found are 5 cent coins or that single chain. 

310280712_605763437938561_1313213410297857745_n.thumb.jpg.bb806c04d01a86f9f7ec53bb6dcd1dee.jpg

21 minutes ago, TTT2866 said:

I'm running Dive program, discrim 0, sensitivity 88, salt sensitivity 8. Could I be using the wrong modes or settings or something? As of now, the smallest thing I've really found are 5 cent coins or that single chain

Well you have missed plenty of settings. Let us know the rest including reactivity. 

22 minutes ago, midalake said:

Well you have missed plenty of settings. Let us know the rest including reactivity. 

Apologies, I just leave it on default Here is a full list of my settings. 

Disc 0

Sensitivity 88

Salt sensitivity 8

Freq shift 1 (I noise cancel and GB in the water) 

Iron volume 3

Reactivity 1

Audio response 5

I'm using the 9" coil with bone conductive headphones and a full carbon shaft, not the original shaft. 

Edit: after researching reactivity I think that's probably the issue. I'll try bump it up when I go out today over the same spot and see if it helps. 

Just now, TTT2866 said:

Sensitivity 88

Salt sensitivity 8

Freq shift 1 (I noise cancel and GB in the water) 

Iron volume 3

Well the dive mode will be the worst mode when it comes to gold chains due to frequency weighting. 

What conditions do you have that only allow for 88 sensitivity ?  Also why not run .5 or 0 reactivity? 

In my location I can run 95 sensitivity with really bad black sand. 

12 minutes ago, midalake said:

Well the dive mode will be the worst mode when it comes to gold chains due to frequency weighting. 

What conditions do you have that only allow for 88 sensitivity ?  Also why not run .5 or 0 reactivity? 

In my location I can run 95 sensitivity with really bad black sand. 

Am I correct with reactivity lower being really bad/slow target separation with max depth? Like the equinox? And higher is less depth but really good target separation? 

The areas I am in are all rocks and orange clay. it seems to be very unstable with higher sensitivity, hence why dropping it to 88. I've changed the shaft since this pic as I thought the aluminum was interfering with it. Just to give you an idea - 

Also I'm in salt water, not fresh. In case it makes a difference 

image.thumb.png.eef07da34574a294decc5063547d8bdc.png

56 minutes ago, TTT2866 said:

The areas I am in are all rocks and orange clay. it seems to be very unstable with higher sensitivity, hence why dropping it to 88.

56 minutes ago, TTT2866 said:

Also I'm in salt water, not fresh. In case it makes a difference

I am in Salt Water too.
Well your bottom must be highly mineralized.

To make a long story short> The D2 does work well in highly mineralized areas.
With your mineralization and Salt it will make chain detection very difficult. I doubt more reactivity will help and I do not see any of your settings that would make much difference if changed.  Also for the record I have found the Equinox to work better in high mineral conditions >Sorry. 

But! As a try....Make sure you're in magnetic sand reject. Anything over 1.5 reactivity will hurt, but if you can up the sensitiyity at 1.5 try it., Also try tracking Ground Balance. Turn your iron volume down to one.  Like anything else sensitivity is important. Test a target you have found in the past. 
Also try Beach Pitch it may cut those minerals with better frequencies to find gold. But it also might be more unstable. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 3:24 AM, TTT2866 said:

I found the P10 to be completely blind on small stuff🩸.

Try the P11 and save as a new program to use it for test purpose.

Disc 5 (trust me)

Iron volume not over 3

Raise sens up to 95 (88 is really low for the game)

Keep reactivity under 2

Salt sens 8 should be fine 

Pitch tone unless you wanna get crazy with multiple useless hits.

Try GB tracking as I also found on red clay and hot rocks to be unworkable with manual.

Blacksand accepted please.

Let me know if it works😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

I found the P10 to be completely blind on small stuff🩸.

Try the P11 and save as a new program to use it for test purpose.

Disc 5 (trust me)

Iron volume not over 3

Raise sens up to 95 (88 is really low for the game)

Keep reactivity under 2

Salt sens 8 should be fine 

Pitch tone unless you wanna get crazy with multiple useless hits.

Try GB tracking as I also found on red clay and hot rocks to be unworkable with manual.

Blacksand accepted please.

Let me know if it works😉

Disc 5 or 25 will not make a difference. My smallest chain comes in at 32. Neither 5 or 25 will make a difference on the "32" chain. 

In fact a Disc of 25 may knock out some of his mineralization and allow him to run higher sensitivity. 

• Like 1

Dive mode is a multi-freq mode that's heavy on 4.8 kHz, so it's not going to be all that hot on 'low ID' targets.
Presumably the designers chose the 4.8k / 14.3k frequencies as they are less affected by salt water than a higher-freq mix.

Here's the freqs used in the various D2 modes:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/18707-not-much-chat-about-multi-frequencies/?do=findComment&comment=198887

• Like 3