First Hunt With The Simplex, Coin Curse Lifted!

So the first time I ever hunted my first find was an Indian Head penny. That was back when I first started detecting early this year on an old farm permission. The home owner insisted on keeping it even though it was crusty as heck. 

Since that hunt I had not found a single old coin. I found awesome relics, rare buttons, lots of cool finds but no coins older than Wheaties. All those hunts were with the Legend. 

Fast forward to today. And my new Simplex.

Went to a spot I have hunted before, a open area near some baseball fields. I knew the land was old, but being public land didn't have high hopes.

But I wanted to see if the Simplex could do any better than my Legend which I have used here a few times. 

Got a couple memorials before I hit the path that I wanted to scan like 10 feet from my car. 

Then bam, found an Indian head penny at 8 or more inches. Behold! The curse is lifted! 

Detected for an hour or more and decided to detect my way back to the car. Then, 10 feet from the first Indian Head I get another sweet signal, and bam! Another indian head! Deep one like the first 8 or 9 inches. I am over the moon. 

The simplex really knows how to snif out deep coins I must say. I look forward to using the Simplex more. For 250 this thing is an absolute monster bargain. 

• Like 9

That's great it's working well for you.  Were the coins displaying a good target ID, the ID of the coin or there about or were they showing a bouncy target, or an more likely iron signal.  In my milder soils here every deep coin on the Simplex has an ID likely to be an iron junk target, yes it gets deep targets but you really can't rely on the Target ID at all.

On one of the newer firmware versions I get no ID at all on deep coins, the other firmware gives me a very unstable most likely iron ID.

I believe both were ringing in in the 60s. Pivoting on the targets they would bounce a bit, but still in that range. 

The simplex is very good at implying depth of target. 

They were not screamers, but solid and deep targets. I think the first one was near iron and sounded solid. 

I can't believe how cheap the Simplex is for what it can do. I want to say it is a fun machine to use and it is, but it is also a strong seeker. $250, a no brainer. 

I don't know the version I have, but I imagine it is the latest.