Gold Monster On Hot Ground In Wa

• This topic was locked and unlocked

Hi Ethan. 

I'm sorry that there hasn't been much response to your question here but it also might be a bit telling in that maybe many people aren't using the Gold Monster in Western Australia. 

As with many spots across Australia the ground in WA can be quite variable, very mineralised and have various amounts of hot rocks.  However, prior to the introduction of PI machines a VLF was all that they used in WA. and they found gold so it is possible.  

I know with my trip to WA in June this year that on one of the little patches we found the Gold Monster would have located about half of the gold weight that we found as it was quite shallow and of decent size (multi gram).   But, there were also many pieces that a VLF would not have got anywhere near. 

Not having used a VLF in WA myself I am loathe to give too much advice without much to back it up, but a PI would be a better option for handling WA conditions in my opinion.  Travelling from SA to WA goldfields is a long way to go only to be disappointed and frustrated by ground noise and digging ghost signals.   Something like an SDC would be a great beginners detector, if it is in your price range, as it is generally exceptional at handling ground noise and knocking out hot rocks.  

Hope that helps.  

Cheers, NE.  

• Like 6

In the areas that I detected in WA with a VLF detector it was not the hot ground it was the hot rocks 3 or 4 target signal per swing from them in some spots. At the time I had 25 years experience with VLF detector at the time. Using Minlab detectors post 2003 I had no problems with the PI detector in the same area. As for depth the hot ground of Vic was a lot worse for the VLF but hot rocks were only a mild problems.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

• The title was changed to Gold Monster On Hot Ground In Wa
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, Northeast said:

P

On 10/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, Northeast said:

Hi Ethan. 

I'm sorry that there hasn't been much response to your question here but it also might be a bit telling in that maybe many people aren't using the Gold Monster in Western Australia. 

As with many spots across Australia the ground in WA can be quite variable, very mineralised and have various amounts of hot rocks.  However, prior to the introduction of PI machines a VLF was all that they used in WA. and they found gold so it is possible.  

I know with my trip to WA in June this year that on one of the little patches we found the Gold Monster would have located about half of the gold weight that we found as it was quite shallow and of decent size (multi gram).   But, there were also many pieces that a VLF would not have got anywhere near. 

Not having used a VLF in WA myself I am loathe to give too much advice without much to back it up, but a PI would be a better option for handling WA conditions in my opinion.  Travelling from SA to WA goldfields is a long way to go only to be disappointed and frustrated by ground noise and digging ghost signals.   Something like an SDC would be a great beginners detector, if it is in your price range, as it is generally exceptional at handling ground noise and knocking out hot rocks.  

Hope that helps.  

Cheers, NE.  

Hi mate, 

Thanks for being so informative. I only found my post now.

I went to WA this time with GM and 6000, however we found nothing. Maybe we were too rush and the weather was hot and we didnot buy section 40e.

My GM kept making noise and 6000 generally does better knocking out that noise. However there was once in one area GM found a very small piece wrap foil where 6000 does not react at all. 

I am planning to go WA next year again with another 6000 and I am selling  my GM1000.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 5:48 PM, geof_junk said:

In the areas that I detected in WA with a VLF detector it was not the hot ground it was the hot rocks 3 or 4 target signal per swing from them in some spots. At the time I had 25 years experience with VLF detector at the time. Using Minlab detectors post 2003 I had no problems with the PI detector in the same area. As for depth the hot ground of Vic was a lot worse for the VLF but hot rocks were only a mild problems.   

Thanks. Looks like better sell 1000

On 10/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, geof_junk said:

Hey Ethan, I can relate to what geof_junk is saying, early VLF's weren't any were near as sensitive as the modern generation of VLF's. I've had plenty of experience using VLF's in the 1980's and hot rocks weren't really an issue, but after a recent trip to W.A. and here in Tasmania there are places where my nox 800 was picking up as G_J says 3-4 hot rocks per swing. Most of the time in factory settings the nox will disc. out hot rocks, but when you are in areas with extremely hot rocks, i.e. showing a solid 11-16 signal all you can do is notch discriminate them out. This works very well, but of course you will miss gold in this range. I will stand corrected, but I don't think the GM has notch disc. So if you are going to use a VLF in these areas you need that option. You mentioned you had a 6000 on your last trip, if so then there's you answer. From what I've heard the 6000's are very good on small gold. If for other reasons you need another machine and can't afford a P.I then look for a VLF with notch disc. The Equinox 800 does handle hot ground very well for a VLF, that's the only machine I'm qualified to comment on. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, blackjack said:

Hey Ethan, I can relate to what geof_junk is saying, early VLF's weren't any were near as sensitive as the modern generation of VLF's. I've had plenty of experience using VLF's in the 1980's and hot rocks weren't really an issue, but after a recent trip to W.A. and here in Tasmania there are places where my nox 800 was picking up as G_J says 3-4 hot rocks per swing. Most of the time in factory settings the nox will disc. out hot rocks, but when you are in areas with extremely hot rocks, i.e. showing a solid 11-16 signal all you can do is notch discriminate them out. This works very well, but of course you will miss gold in this range. I will stand corrected, but I don't think the GM has notch disc. So if you are going to use a VLF in these areas you need that option. You mentioned you had a 6000 on your last trip, if so then there's you answer. From what I've heard the 6000's are very good on small gold. If for other reasons you need another machine and can't afford a P.I then look for a VLF with notch disc. The Equinox 800 does handle hot ground very well for a VLF, that's the only machine I'm qualified to comment on. 

Hey Jack,

I am thinking to buy garret Axiom if u have any advice?