One Ring, Two Ring, Another Good Day

10 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I got to the very end and hit on an odd 20-23 tone that was kinda shallow. Expecting a crap penny I was surprised to see a copper ring and an old one at that.

Decent finds for a 2 hour hunt, dogo, although not quite up to your standards.  😄  Are you sure that ring is copper?  I would have expected copper to be in the 30's and even brass higher than low 20's.  (I'm not much of a jewerly detectorist, though, so keep that in mind.)  Don't throw it in the recycle bin until you've checked it out more!

• Like 2

Nice little hunt for a short time swinging the detector, but if you actually found some foil where is it. I don't think you actually got any for that short of a hunt and would really have liked to of seen it.

Just kidding you and good job on the rings.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh I got plenty of foil, I just chose not to cloud the photo and embarrass myself HaHa!!!

Chuck, The ring looks like it could have a tin coating on it, definitely not silver or gold plated. Also could be a brass ring. It's a keeper for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dogodog said:

The ring looks like it could have a tin coating on it,...

Ok, maybe nickel plated?  White gold plated?  Back before the pandemic I got to detect an 1850's homestead.  I found something similar (I figured copper but couldn't see a coating -- maybe long gone) and I thought it was possibly a child's toy.  But the lady who owned the house said she thought it was an actual wedding band.  Makes sense that not everyone then (or now) could afford a solid gold alloy ring but still wanted the 'connection' that comes with such mementos.  Kinda the early version of today's tungsten or titanium wedding bands?

If it's copper but with a nearly imperceptible break (e.g. where it had been soldered), wouldn't that make it dTID lower than a similar composition ring with an intact conductive path?

• Like 3

Nice haul Dogo! You're doing well with single 40 kHz. I tried it yesterday and its pretty noisy in my soil, but the wide open multi you suggested is very eye (and  ear) opening!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If it's copper but with a nearly imperceptible break (e.g. where it had been soldered), wouldn't that make it dTID lower than a similar composition ring with an intact conductive path?

Well I cleaned it up early this morning (5:00 am) Pretty sure its a wedding band. On the outside there are no signs of plating, however on the inside it does look to have a slight edge of plating. I hit it with a little 0000 steel wool, There is a bit of shine but not like gold for sure. Possibly a silverish tint, No clue.  As for the solder theory, there are no visible solder joints under magnification. I used no water on clean up. I just used green rouge and a buffing wheel at 1725 rpm. I kinda like it so I did not dare take it to bare metal. I Ran it by the 800 again, it comes up a solid 23 on my driveway. I tested brass, phosphor bronze, not even close. I'm guessing the plating whatever it is is skewing the numbers up. I need to look up the history of ring plating and see if it was common in the mid 19th century.

• Like 4