Looking For Whites TDI Mod Info

Glithium

I know there were a few greats in this field a while back Reg being one of them (RIP). But im looking for any info in the whites TDI mods and mabye some instructions. I have a big box I know a bit about the batery but more information would be appreciated.  I really would like the stability mod or any others that you could give me. Thanks

Browse this list (and deeper into its contents) of 201 threads tagged for the White's TDI:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/tags/whites tdi/

• Like 1

The big box tdi stability mod required some additional circuitry (small circuit board) that is probably no longer available. I don't think Reg ever disclosed exactly what that circuit was.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I see im looking for the threshold mod and as it says above Reg never shared what circuit board was required. I had read every previous post that people are pointing to and most are related to the SL Steve thanks for that Geotech forum they have been somewhat helpful. I guess I will keep looking for someone with a mod bigbox and maybe I will get a pic of that circuit one day. 

• Like 1

Am thinking that Carl will have that info as he and Reg communicated a lot on this?

Sorry, I don't know what was involved in the threshold mod. When I was designing the SL Reg suggested a modification to the design of the SAT amps that resulted in a smoother threshold, so I suspect this might be the mod he was doing to the TDI. However, he also had a mod for the SL whereby he removed the changes to the SAT amps, and I don't know why.

• Like 1

In my limited time behind a TDI, the original TDI and TDI Pro Oz with the changed ground balance pots were both very unsettled in the threshold department. What was worse was to get the threshold level to where you want was a micro movement of the threshold pot. A fraction of a turn to the left and it was too quiet, and a fraction of a turn to the right it was too loud. Always thought it could have done with a higher value pot, or even better one of those 3 3/4 turn pots so it allowed for a finer tuning. 

As for threshold Stability, yes the TDI SL was a lot better, and I thought whatever mod was done to achieve that would be great if it could be variable, so you could set to to where you want between Standard (ratty) and SL (smooth), like the V/SAT on the goldmasters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

In my limited time behind a TDI, the original TDI and TDI Pro Oz with the changed ground balance pots were both very unsettled in the threshold department. What was worse was to get the threshold level to where you want was a micro movement of the threshold pot. A fraction of a turn to the left and it was too quiet, and a fraction of a turn to the right it was too loud. Always thought it could have done with a higher value pot, or even better one of those 3 3/4 turn pots so it allowed for a finer tuning. 

As for threshold Stability, yes the TDI SL was a lot better, and I thought whatever mod was done to achieve that would be great if it could be variable, so you could set to to where you want between Standard (ratty) and SL (smooth), like the V/SAT on the goldmasters. 

I put vernier dials on my SL. Made a HUGE difference in setting fine Ground Balance, and Threshold. I used to sell them, but am far too busy to monkey with them right now. Here's a link to the dials I used. If you want numbers, you have to make a disc, with numbers, to go on them.

https://mgs4u.com/product/vernier-reduction-drive-14-inch-to-14-inch/

Jim

• Like 5