Looking For Whites TDI Mod Info

Glithium

On 11/2/2022 at 8:55 AM, Geotech said:

Sorry, I don't know what was involved in the threshold mod. When I was designing the SL Reg suggested a modification to the design of the SAT amps that resulted in a smoother threshold, so I suspect this might be the mod he was doing to the TDI. However, he also had a mod for the SL whereby he removed the changes to the SAT amps, and I don't know why.

Hmm man I've been looking for info on this mod for a long time. I really want to get that threshold a little smother on the original TDI any tips? 

Without knowing for sure what the mods were, it's just a guessing game. Since the TDI PCB is mostly surface mount trying out those guesses is difficult and potentially damaging. You really need to find a modded TDI and look inside.

• Like 4

2075657692_IMG_20221112_1010473.thumb.jpg.9c64fde454844871a319253075fcaada.jpg1209465216_IMG_20221112_1010282.thumb.jpg.b660207336b1d02f34c622174f4e02f3.jpg

I was very fortunate to have many TDI phone conversations with Reg, Reg helped me (with information) add two mods to my TDI. 

Originally, Purchased the modded TDI from Rick AZ. I've owned a TDI before, but never with Regs mods.  Reg shared with me, due to his health his hands could no longer do the finer component soldering.  He had a friend, do several of the mods for customers. Unknown to Reg, sometimes not all the mods where completed. I believe three components had to be changed, can't remember what they are I would need to locate my notes and go through email from Reg. 

My TDI only had one mod, after opening the housing noticed this. The one mod it did have, was the added mini board. Again, I will need to locate my notes and go through email from Reg to fully understand the other missing mods. None the less, with Regs help over the phone he explained to me what I needed to do with adding the additional mods. Later, I had mentioned to Reg was trying to add an online probe to the TDI. After many attempts,  Gave up. Continuous falsing was occurring when flipping from coil over to online probe, was a nightmare.  Then, Reg laughed and said I can help.  He explained I needed to add a certain range ohm resistor across certain coil connector pins.  That fixed my inline probe issue, when flipping over from coil to inline probe the inline probe operated fantastic no more falsing.

Okay, Now to park silver hunting. Using various Minor John coils, small elliptical to larger coils the TDI operated fantastic as a deep silver detector. I did find a method to help reduce digging false signals. I shared this with Reg, Explained it was combination of reducing GB, lifting coil an inch or two while swinging and there was a third step can't quite remember exactly what it was. I'll need to test a buried high conductive target (silver dime) to figure out what that third step was. Just know this method greatly reduced false digging. Plus, I use a Periscope that also helped reduced false digging. 

I realize this is getting long toothed, just wanted to share how fortunate I was having Regs help and his phone call fellowship conversations. 

My days of metal detecting are on hold, for now that is. Caring for an elderly parent, retired this year and my mother suffered a stroke. Fortunately, in the position to care for mom.  I'm now her full-time care provider, enjoying every moment. 

Happy hunting,

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Paul, please don't lose that added board. It would be nice if an engineer could figure out what that circuit is.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul (CA) said:

I was very fortunate to have many TDI phone conversations with Reg, Reg helped me (with information) add two mods to my TDI

Would be greatly appreciated by many to 'dig up' whatever info you can find. Once lost, this info may never be recorded anywhere again. For posterity sake and many TDI users. Thanks :-) 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Aureous said:

Would be greatly appreciated by many to 'dig up' whatever info you can find. Once lost, this info may never be recorded anywhere again. For posterity sake and many TDI users. Thanks 🙂

Absolutely, I'll dig up what I have and share on this thread.  May take a while, things are boxed up and I'll need to go through email with Reg.  Recently, Moved to a town next door and currently selling my house. Luckily found a buyer and should close excrow tomorrow, guess the house sold at the right time, higher interest rates have slowed down sale of homes.  Had to reduce house 10% since listing two months ago, I was extremely Lucky to get a buyer especially with what's to come.

Give me some time to adjust with the moving, everything is still boxed up notes and such.  I do look forward to metal detecting again someday, especially with the TDi for old park hunting.

Take care,

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Paul, please don't lose that added board. It would be nice if an engineer could figure out what that circuit is.

Jim

You bet Jim!

I'll definitely take good care of the TDI, very fortunate to have one with the mods. Definitely share more when time allows, with information from my notes and email conversations with Reg.

Have a good day sir!

Paul

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Paul (CA) said:

You bet Jim!

I'll definitely take good care of the TDI, very fortunate to have one with the mods. Definitely share more when time allows, with information from my notes and email conversations with Reg.

Have a good day sir!

Paul

Thanks Paul don't apologize for being long winded at all. Any future TDI users that are looking to mod are going to need any details you can give. They would be much appreciated to me and anyone looking to do any future mods as they are lost to time now. Whenever you find those notes or just a few pics of that circuit board would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, Geotech said:

Without knowing for sure what the mods were, it's just a guessing game. Since the TDI PCB is mostly surface mount trying out those guesses is difficult and potentially damaging. You really need to find a modded TDI and look inside.

I have an original Pulse Scan TDI that Reg did mods on for me. I will take it apart and take photos of the boards asap. I 'll try to  post them soon. Jim

100_0388[1].JPG

100_0389[1].JPG

• Like 2