Looking For Whites TDI Mod Info

Glithium

17 minutes ago, Glithium said:

I posted it on Geotech just to see if anyone else has an idea.

I sent my modified TDI to Carl Moreland who is "Geotech", to dissect it and do a schematic. I guess you missed my post.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hi there, I've newly acquired a TDI Pro Oz. I'm interested in doing any mods that might improve it.

From what I can gather from this thread (which seems like the most current and active thread on the topic I can find on Google) there are 3 mods:

Sensitivity / Gain boost mod, involves shorting capacitor C50, either permanently or with a switch. Applies to all models?

The "improved filtering" mod, involves replacing cap C59 and C60. This mod is only from the original, non pro model?

And the coveted "smoothness" mod, involves the extra PCB from the late and great man Reg. For all models?

Is this correct? Are there other mods?

I'm particularly interested in the smoothness mod. Has there been any updates on this? I'm quite handy with electronics and making things. I can cut and PCBs on a CNC machine and know my way around a soldering iron, so Id be happy to help out with this PCB if needed 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 12:19 AM, ZacMonkeys said:

Oh I left out the vernier reduction mod, for improved fine control of the ground balance, or other? knobs.

On which knows are these vernier mods beneficial?

Hello,

Don't know if this will help, but I saved this Ebay listing in case I wanted it done to one of my TDI SL's! I have been using one on the beaches that had some mods done! Just did a photo grab, so not clickable! Seller explains about what he can make!🍀👍👍

20230714_013225.jpg

20230714_013248.jpg

Thanks, Joe, that's mine. I have one set of those vernier knobs and mounting hardware ready to go right now. Price is $175, shipped in US. We're heading out Sunday and will be gone for a week, so shipping will be slow for a bit, unless purchased immediately.

Jim

• Haha 1

You look like you do some nice work Jim! Those are cool! May have to get some eventually!🤔

Have a safe trip!! Hope there's detecting involved!!🍀👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

You look like you do some nice work Jim! Those are cool! May have to get some eventually!🤔

Have a safe trip!! Hope there's detecting involved!!🍀👍👍

LOL...actually no detecting. This a diamond prospecting trip. We tried in June, and got stuck in the mud for 18 hours and came home. Now we're trying again.

Jim

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I didn't know people were still modding these machines...!

I could have given you the schematic of that mod. Its removing some of the additions that reg made when he converted the goldscan to the tdi. I found it was much quieter and reg shared the schematics with me and we worked out where the issues were.

We also did some other mods to make use of more recent parts. But after his death I kept modding my machine. 

It only works in the original TDI prro machines. It removes some filters he had put in.

I also have one of the boosters for this machine that uh, i forget his name, the guy that invented the Goldscan built. Its just a larger front end and the its the timing adjustments on the tdi that allow for it to work.

We also changed some capacitors to reduce the response time of detecting a target, but it looks like he's shared that one. But i'm not familar with the newer machines. The original was all analog. The booster is basically a voltage increase for the detector, but rather than putting all the power through the detector, it just adds a bigger front end to the existing front end.

The one i had was 24V-36V but in all honesty i don't recall it making a huge difference, probably took it from a 2100-2200 equiv to a 3500 performance wise or something like that. But that was before we'd done more adjustments on the machine too, so there is that.

I didn't get much chance to test it, I was a bit worried at the power it was putting out... Its a giant transmitter, and yes, it finds gold deeper, however, it isn't legal here (or probably anywhere lol). And yes, he shared the schematics with me. I think his name was Jim foster, we talked a lot about tx rx stuff and i missed the chance to meet him  when when he came from America to test his original goldscan prototype here in Australia. He was a nice guy.