Design Flaw On The Legend Hand Grip

Hi everyone 

I have the Legend and think it is a brilliant machine but I can't help but think Nokta missed a trick when the made the top stem / arm cuff and control box 1 complete moulded piece.

It would have been nice to have a removable control box like the Anfibio or even more if they had designed it with a folding hand grip/control box mount,

In the summer here in the UK I like to go out detecting on my motor bike and without the ability to collapse the grip down or completely disassemble the machine you need a rather large backpack to get it in. Ie the Nokta back pack at £88.00 here in the UK.  

I am thinking about maybe trying to cut the hand grip off and re attach it via a folding grip like the Minelab Equinox.

what's everyone's thoughts ?

• Like 2

I'd spend the small amount of money on the backpack rather than void an expensive detectors' warranty. 🤔 Soon there will be aftermarket printed parts if the detector is popular, but a folding arrangement may not be one of them due to the obvious. Perhaps a telescoping lower?

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

• Like 1

I would not consider that a flaw. The design is sturdy & practical for most users.  Your ideas to make it more compact would be a nice option/accessory however.

Welcome to the forum. Let us hear of your adventures.

3 hours ago, Robster said:

Hi everyone 

I have the Legend and think it is a brilliant machine but I can't help but think Nokta missed a trick when the made the top stem / arm cuff and control box 1 complete moulded piece.

It would have been nice to have a removable control box like the Anfibio or even more if they had designed it with a folding hand grip/control box mount,

In the summer here in the UK I like to go out detecting on my motor bike and without the ability to collapse the grip down or completely disassemble the machine you need a rather large backpack to get it in. Ie the Nokta back pack at £88.00 here in the UK.  

I am thinking about maybe trying to cut the hand grip off and re attach it via a folding grip like the Minelab Equinox.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The control box is held on the hand grip by one screw located on the back of the hand grip. It makes the system control unit really easy to remove. All of the electronics and battery are inside the control unit so just disconnect the coil cable, remove the Phillips head screw and the control unit comes off very well. No water ingress issues doing that or other wires to worry about.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

While I don't own a Legend so don't know how it works, if its just one screw is it possible you could just replace that standard screw with a thumb screw for easy removal? We used them all the time in the IT industry, saves having to use screw drivers as they're quick and easy to do by hand.

358855.thumb.gif.3764034d48affb5b0a21e6b935c988ce.gif

• Like 6

Doesn't it collapse down to 24"?

I have regular s-shaft machines and disconnect the middle pole and they fit in a 13x13x6 saddle bag. They stick out a bit but are secure. I pack the on my ebike to take to remote areas and haven't had any issues on trails.

Does the middle pole on the Legend disconnect?

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 1:06 PM, Robster said:

Hi everyone 

...   In the summer here in the UK I like to go out detecting on my motor bike

Hi ,

It doesnt really answer to the Legend question but if you need an ultra compact detector to carry with your motorbike , a wireless XP D2 or D1 is the best solution simply because the CB is wireless . Then you can use a smaller rucksack. With no need to disassemble anything . no time loss with screws bolts etc ..  You dont even need a CB with the D2 WS6 MASTER version ...

I use a rucksack since several years too , one more reason why I like XP detectors .. 🙂

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Design Flaw On The Legend Hand Grip
On 10/15/2022 at 1:11 AM, palzynski said:

Hi ,

It doesnt really answer to the Legend question but if you need an ultra compact detector to carry with your motorbike , a wireless XP D2 or D1 is the best solution simply because the CB is wireless . Then you can use a smaller rucksack. With no need to disassemble anything . no time loss with screws bolts etc ..  You dont even need a CB with the D2 WS6 MASTER version ...

I use a rucksack since several years too , one more reason why I like XP detectors .. 🙂

That would be a great answer.... if this were the XP Forum. :smile:

I would not be surprised if the same people that make the folding Nox grip do the same with Legend. Someone might want to contact them about it. There are a couple different outfits making them, here is one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alright.  After that little interlude I thought I would do a comparison.

I am not in any way trying to stir anything up with these three photos below. I love and regularly use (and backpack) all three detectors.

The backpack being used is just like any middle school to high school age child's 20" (51 cm) tall backpack that can be purchased at Walmart or any "Big Box" store that sells school supplies.

I usually use my Minelab backpack which is 26" tall when I am gold prospecting and need to carry an extra detector and gear. Otherwise, for local coin/jewelry/relic hunting day trips, a backpack like this works fine even if I am riding a bicycle.

The Deus 2, Equinox and Legend all fit easily inside. I did not remove the coils from their lower shaft, nor did I remove the control units or even disconnect the coil connectors from the Equinox and Legend control boxes. All I did was remove the lower shaft for each unit. I can remove these three detectors from the backpack, put the lower shafts back in and be up and running in less than a minute. 

So, whether there is a design flaw or a huge difference.........you be the judge.

Deus2.jpeg

Deus 2

Equinox.jpeg

Equinox (with TeleKnox collapsible shaft)

Legend.jpeg

Legend

• Like 8

Thank for all your feed back , Maybe a design flaw was a bit of a harsh statement as I totally agree it's a fantastic machine.

It's just me not wanting to take my machine apart for transportation (lazy? probably  but I am fussy)

I agree buy removing the lower stem it reduces the overall size of the detector to be very compact but I defiantly want the bag to be able to close as over here in the UK it rains a lot   and the detector isn't the only thing in the bag. wet sandwiches are not very tasty 🙂 

I now know that the control box can be removed from the handle, so I am in the process of designing / fabricating a new shaft with foldable handle , without cutting up my original shaft.

I will post pictures when I complete it for you all to see.

• Like 3