Hello From Texas!!!!

RubenAlonzo

Greetings Everyone, I am new to the hobby and just signed up here to learn from you all fine folk. I am in the market for my first detector and on the fence between the Garrett Ace Apex and the Nokta Makro. I hope to learn am much as I can to then be able to pay it forward when I am able to. I live in Texas with my wife and daughter, i'm a retired/disabled Navy Corpsman who needs to lose a couple (actually more than a couple) pounds and so metal detecting sounds fun! Not to mention I really enjoyed the short lived British TV show "Detectorists", than you all for reading!

• Like 7

Welcome, Ruben!

1 hour ago, RubenAlonzo said:

I am in the market for my first detector and on the fence between the Garrett Ace Apex and the Nokta Makro.

Well, yes, the Garrett Apex is a specific detector but Nokta Makro is a detector manufacturer & seller, with several detectors available.  Did you mean their Legend model?  Simplex model?

I'm always curious when a new user has narrowed down a purchase choice already.  Local supplier?  Friend/acquaintance who has made a recommendation?

• Like 1

Greetings and thank you for the reply, I was not aware that Noktra Makro was the manufacturer, I thought Nokra was the maker and Makro the model, but yes I am interested in the Simplex.

The reason for me narrowing it down to these two models is simply by watching a lot of YouTube videos and these come up quite often. Do you think either of these are good ones for a beginner? Garrett Apex/ Noktra Makro Simplex.

Welcome from the Eastern part of Texas.

You have joined a good group of folks.

• Like 1

Welcome Ruben, Glad you showed up to the table. The Two detectors that you have chosen are very decent detectors. You will do well with either. Looking forward to some of your finds once you get rolling.

• Like 3

Welcome Ruben,

I'm going to push you a little outside the box. BTW thanks for your Navy service. 👍 You can take your DD214 or ID to a Minelab dealer and get 15% off an Equinox, either the 600, which I have, or the 800, a little more expensive. I think the $100 discount is still on, and they probably won't grudge you the 15% on top of it if you go to a metal detector dealer. Best not to buy a detector online unless a military discount is offered.

I wanted the Apex when I was buying my first detector but it wasn't out at the time, just hyped. Ended up getting a "highly recommended" Garrett Ace 400, it was ok but 5 months later I got an Equinox and my whole perspective changed. I know someone with an Apex but it's not a favorite.

Don't go too inexpensive, better to go up to middle ground. The Nokta Makro Legend would be a good choice too it seems.

Good luck in your choice, and welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot here!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and as F350Platinum has said the 600 or 800 is a out of the box detector that anyone can do very well with.

I was given my late grandfathers 800 detector and knew nothing about detecting and was able to find almost anything I wanted.

Which ever detector you decide to get there is plenty of help here on this forum for you to find your answer to.

Welcome aboard Ruben ! You chose wisely.

Which first detector ? No easy answer.

Check out Steve's Guides

and other places here like the forum classified / for sale section.

A few questions to help us help you.

1 What is the maximum $ amount you can spend ?

2 Is weight of the detector an issue ?

3  In your investigations , did you see any type(s) of detecting that you thought you wanted to do? (coins , relics , jewelry.....prospecting)  and places (city parks and curb strips , beaches , old houses/buildings , civil war sites , etc) 

4  Are there any detecting clubs in your area ? That would be a great place to actually try before you buy . (a good dealer could offer that too.)

As a vet , definitely ask about discounts . You earned it and more for offering it all.....

Oh , one more thing....There's a slight chance you will become addicted to this , but don't worry  you're among a lot of folks that won't point and laugh,,,cuz we is too !

OOOOOH AYUH !

• Like 1

Welcome to hobby Ruben.  There are lots of metal detecting outfitters out there that will offer you a discount for being military.  Usually this is about 15% off of your purchase.  One that is local to your state is American Detector Distributors. Since your from Texas be sure to look into the Charles Garrett Memorial Hunt in Canton, Texas.  This event is loads of fun and there are lots of great hunts that you may participate in.  

The Nokta Makro line is a proven company that has put out many great units.  Be sure to compare the Simplex+, the Legend, and their Anfibio Multi units (there are so many more). I'm sure that whatever unit that you choose will be one that you will grow with and learn to master along the way.  

Be sure to also look into the Texas Association of Metal Detecting Clubs.  That will help you get into a local metal detecting club near you.  We will be looking forward to seeing your posts on here and hearing about what metal detector that you have decided to go with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@rvpopeye, @Jason-NEK, @Valens Legacy, @F350Platinum, @dogodog, @JCR

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. I have a budget now of $650 BUT the missus said Iif I can wait until after the holidays then I can stretch that to $1500 and she would be fine with that. So now I am thinking that the ML Manticore should hit the shelves at around that time or so, and maybe I should wait for that one?

• Like 2