Advice For New Detectorist With $500 Budget

Greetings Everyone, I would like to get into the hobby and the boss has generously allowed me a budget of $500 for ALL my gear. This would mean headphones, pin-pointer, trowel, and anything you all can think of. I am looking at the Garrett Ace Apex and also the Nokta Makro Simplex as my first detector. If you all can think of another model I may have overlooked please chime in. I mostly have been looking through YouTube videos to have narrowed it down to these two.

Eventually I would like to own the CTX 3030 or the XP Deus/Deus II. I am not going to do any beach detecting, just yards and sides of roads, ranch land and parks. I would like to detect rings/coins.

P.S. I am complete Novice, I have never detected before and so would like a detector I can grow into but not grow out of anytime soon, hence my budget. Something in the mid-range would suit me fine, right?

• Like 4

Unless you like light detectors because the Simplex is front heavy especially with the 11 coil ( 1,4kg ) .. Personnaly I would recommend a Quest X5 or X10 for a total beginner . They are very light , have very good electronics , and they are cheap  ..  Or a second hand Deus1 

(I welcomed you and asked a couple questions in your Meet&Greet post.  You've started answering my questions here.)

Welcome (again)!

Here are some warnings about advice for someone wanting to enter the hobby (aka 'newbie'):

1) If you really have a budget, and you seem to, then beware of people suggesting things that don't fit your budget.  That seems to happen here all the time.

2) Although used detectors can be a bargain, they can also have problems.  Particularly for someone new, if the detector isn't working the way it was expected then one's mind will be filled with doubt as to whether or not you got someone's lemon.  Go new now until you get confidence in your abilities.

3) There are several more/less required accessories, especially a handheld pinpointer, a digging tool, and a pouch.  The latter two can really be found on the cheap in a big box hardware/lumber outlet -- e.g. a garden trowel and a nail apron.  In particular, though, the digging tools sold be detector outlets tend to be sturdier.  Another accessory that isn't typically required (if the detector has an internal speaker) but can be quite useful is a set of headphones.

Regarding this third point, some outlets provide packages that include a lot (or all) of the above mentioned accessories.  SeriousDetecting is a good one.  You can search for various models (e.g. Nokta Simplex, Garrett Apex, Minelab Vanquish) and see what kind of package you can get that fits your budget.  You can still shop around with other dealers but the site I linked will at least give you an idea of some available, decent pricing.

Example:  Simplex with wireless headphones and handheld pinpointer.  ($375 before sales tax)

Get one of the best hand diggers. ($40 before tax -- not sure about shipping)

The pouch I use.  ($31 before tax)

And maybe a few bucks leftover to take your wife out for fast food.  😁

• Like 6

You might also want to consider the Vanquish 540. I've owned all 3. The Vanquish 540, Apex and Simplex and of those 3 the Apex would be my last choice. That's my opinion and I'm sure there will be some disagreements.

• Like 7

Plus 1 for the Vanquish 540! $499 at Kellyco for Pro Pack with wireless headphones , pouch, gloves, but no pinpointer. If you can possibly stretch it, the Equinox 600 for $599 is an even better way to go. Just my opinion.

• Like 7

I agree with GB_Amateur, but would still strongly recommend the Equinox 600 at least, as I told you in your other post. I have one, and while I've spent about that much on gear (look at my profile) to go with it, it was a decision I'll never regret, and to tell the truth my wife bought it for me. 🤣 I have since paid her back with jewelry and interesting history, not to mention getting out of her hair. 😁 You will at the very least need a pinpointer and a shovel and a finds bag. For around $40 you can get a great pair of wireless headphones too. Plan more on a top budget of $1,000. Use that military ID/DD214 for some payback. 👍

Being a retired but very energetic person (I did 10 years of Army in the 80s), I've found that metal detecting is a perfect way to stay healthy, you are certainly on the right track. Take magnesium for the muscle cramps 🤣

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 5:59 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

the Equinox 600 for $599 is an even better way to go.

Couldn't agree more.. I started with a Chinese Gold Bug then upgraded to a second-hand Equinox 600.. It's still my main detector for coins and rings.. I've owned a few other detectors since then but on my local beaches it's still outperforming all of them! 😁 According to other members here, it's also great in fields and parks.. 

• Like 3

With the Minelab 15% US military discount, an Equinox 600 is going to cost you around $500 and it will keep you busy for a long time. Your only other immediate expense will be a decent handheld pinpointer. A long flat blade screwdriver and/or a good garden trowel will get you started. Go through a dealer that offers the US military discount like Gerrysdetectors or Robsdetectors who are participating members on this forum or with one of the excellent dealers in Texas like Metal Detecting Stuff..... ask for the best deal including a pinpointer. You may be surprised.

• Like 3

I'm sure the boss would allow you another $99 if she saw this amazing offer.. In Australia this sort of bundle is hard to come by.. https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/minelab-equinox-600-metal-detector-bundle-with-digging-tool-carry-bag-and-more/ I'm sure if you shop around you'll even find one that chucks in a pinpointer.. 

• Like 4