Advice For New Detectorist With $500 Budget

I believe Nokta has a special on their Legend that doesn't have their headphones and is in that price range. You can use your own bluetooth headphones with that machine.

• Like 3

I will suggest to beware of counterfeit detectors offered on the Internet. Make your purchase from a real dealer not someplace like Amazon.

• Like 3

I guess I'm a dinosaur as I don't think of a pinpointer as a must have. We got along without them for years. If you can get one thrown in as part of a package that's great but you could certainly get started without one. A flat blade screwdriver will be fine as a digging tool and you probably already have one. I have the Nox 800 but I know the 600 is a great detector as well. Since the beach is not a concern the Simplex may be a good value.

• Like 3

This is a great hobby and its even greater with a happy and understanding spouse. Stick with your budget. Once she and you realize how much fun you are having and making a nice find here and there, if you are so inclined you can upgrade then. I have the Nox 600 and think you would be happy with a Minelab 440 or 540. Good luck, HH jim tn

• Like 1

You got some good recommendations, so here's my 2 cents worth...stick with what you get, and REALLY learn it. Put in the hours, don't let your mind tell you, you should have got "X". Keep at it,  learn it's nuances, figure out with time what your favorite type of detecting is, and eventually...if you get the bug...you will maybe upgrade. With that said, hard to beat a Nox 600, unless your in a gold bearing area, and want to nuggetshoot. If you want to buy used first, to get the most bang for your buck, stick with buying from known people...like the forum members here. I've bought and sold dozens of detectors over the years, only 1 bad incident, and that was dude not including an extra coil that he advertised,  actually still have, and use the detector. Good luck!

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Advice For New Detectorist With $500 Budget

Most are covering which detector.  So I'll go with accessories.

An old shovel will work to start , yard sales best source unless you already have one.

A plastic trowel ~ $5 , an old screwdriver ,,,or both at a yard sale again. 

You probably already have ear buds or headphones ? 

A cheap Chinese knock off pin pointer can get you something basic for ~ $25. 

Upgrade to a Garrett Carrot later...

I found a little camera bag for finds at Goodwill /etc. for $2 !  Lots of other bags like that there usually under $5 . Small backpacks $5 for the really good ones !

A plastic bag tied to your belt would work if you're running out of budget$

OH yeah , if you're like a lot of us you can get some "Glasses of Shame" 3.25 readers at a Dollar store  for those hard to see dates on coins LOL😉

You already found your best accessory for free, this forum !!!!!!!

Ask those questions as the pop up.

• Like 3

If I was doing it again for the first time and had a $500 budget...I'd probably go with the Nokta Impact Pro Pack.

If you call around you can get it for your budget.  

Its a great detector and you can do just about everything with it.

Good luck.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

I am going to make a suggestion that is a little higher then your $500 budget but it is a smokin deal rite now and that is the Nokta/Macro Legend from the link I provided, it is $49.95 higher then your budget

if you go this route I would call them and ask what all is included in this package when I went back and read this add at bigboyshobbies it seemed a little miss leading when I read it

https://bigboyshobbies.net/legend-nokta-makro-metal-detector

this package has almost everything included that you may or will need the only other thing I would suggest is a good metal detecting shovel if you are going to be digging in the woods, and even the shovel you do not really need but it is good to have one if you are going to be detecting in open fields, and wooded area I would not take a shovel into a park or someones yard but fields and wooded areas I would here is a link to great shovels

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/all-new-model-24-the-phoenix-shovel

and yes they are expensive but you will never purchase another shovel again, like I said you do not necessarily have to have a shovel the first link I provided gets you almost everything you need

of the two detectors you mentioned I would go the simplex route it is a great beginners detector and is way more detector then the price would suggest 

• Like 2