Using The Mdt’s Strengths

JCR

I used the Tarsacci today for the first time in a while. The drought has dried up a local swimming pool that was in use upto the 1940s. The place is all but forgotten and all grown up in thick brush. There is some open area that normally holds water with a hard bottom under the mud. The mud is dry enough to walk on but still wet under the surface. The mud is pretty conductive. I tried The Legend and it was only stabile in M3 or Beach MW. I needed to get deeper so went back with the Tarsacci. It ran perfect. 6.4 kHz, GB 590, Salt 27, Sens 9, TH 0. I dug a few targets, mostly simi interesting junk. The best was a large pocket knife at 15” in pretty good condition.

• Like 4

I purchased the Tarsacci as a specialty detector for hot ground relic sites with Iron mixed in. It has proven itself capable where other machines fall short. I never thought about it's capability on wet/marshy ground. My newer permission has plenty of that whenever it rains again this Winter. I have been all over it while it is dry ground this Summer & dug alot of old coins & other items with The Legend. The Tarsacci will certainly have it's place when the ground get wet & conductive again finding deeper targets.

I admire the guys who are able to use the Tarsacci in modern/heavy trash. I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

The MDT has its place when working around difficult moist areas and water 

10 hours ago, JCR said:

The Tarsacci will certainly have it's place when the ground get wet & conductive again finding deeper targets.

You two seem to come to something that is puzzling but has been an issue here of late with it being so dry.  Why should the moisture matter? It so very clearly does, more than I recall seeing before with any other detector. Any sense of why? 

I am one who loves to hunt in trashy ground with this detector, but not in ground this dry. Normal dry between regular rain was never an issue,but severe drought dry is something else altogether.

I chose to use the Tarsacci on this site because the ground is somewhat conductive due to the moisture. I assume it is similar to a wet salt beach but not as intense.. The MDT ran smooth & deep. The Legend could handle it too previously in M3 or Beach MW. The other SMFs, M1 & M2 were unstable at any kind of reasonable sensitivity. This is the bottom of a swimming pond, not regular ground.

As far as regular dirt sites that aren't low lying, the extreme dryness we are seeing does seem to impede deeper target response.  It does seem to quiet the iron though. Not near as likely to false. Not sure why.

Take a mole hole or any disturbed soil…. many detectors don’t function well.  They can even see a dug hole rather than the target at the bottom.  When moisture is removed the ground becomes pores signals get weaker because water and salt tends to light up targets … a good bit from target bleeding

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Using The Mdt’s Strengths