New Equinox Battery

cudamark

Who actually has a new replacement battery for an Equinox? Everywhere I look, it's either out of stock, or, they say to contact Minelab. I looked at the Minelab website and they don't even list a replacement battery. Do you really have to call the service center to get a replacement? I was hoping someone like RNB made an even better one.

"I was hoping someone like RNB made an even better one"

I doubt you will get one much better, a small amount is possible. Minelab have used a good quality cell in the Equinox, 5000 mAh is at the top end of capacity for a 26650 size. I have seen 5500mAh quoted from Vape and flashlight manufacturers:

https://www.ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/soshine-26650-5500mah-battery-protected

https://www.orbtronic.com/26650-battery-protected-li-ion

These two are protected, unprotected cells are what you really want, especially considering the space aspect - protected cells are typically 1mm longer.
Anything claiming over 5500 mAh is most likely fraudulent, especially if the 'brand' is UltraFire/SuperFire/CatchOnFire etc.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, I did manage to find one in stock.

I would definitely go with the Minelab battery from the Ft Bedford repair folks. It will have the correct wiring and connector for trouble-free replacement. It also has 3 wires in the pigtail, not the simple 2 terminal battery form.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind when you replace the battery you will need to do so under a vacuum otherwise you will push air in to your speaker and the sound will be dull and weird. 

I did my battery again last night. Cut the end off a balloon and put the sack end over the Nox battery compartment, pull on it to suck the air out a bit and push the battery bung in through the balloon. Hope this helps you