Does Anyone Know The Date Minelab Revised The Plastic On The GPX 6000 Coils To Not Crack So Easily?

phrunt

7 hours ago, WesD said:

Has anyone actually had or heard of the ear breaking off on these 6000s?

No WesD, haven't actually and it is a good point.  It is one of the reasons that I am so far keeping my 'good coil' even though it has the fine cracks.  They are certainly not affecting performance in any way  👍

• Like 2

Well this one is pretty disappointing…

1934A9C1-AC86-46C7-BC9C-6276D6FD54F1.thumb.jpeg.091408fcfe7cd76055aff659e8857e5e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 5

On 10/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The so-called “pinch system” is not a “Minelab system” but is the way coils have attached to detectors on almost all brands and models for 50 plus years. It’s obviously worked well on almost all of them.

It is true that Minelab was using the pinch concept used by many detector manufacturers and coil manufacturers.  What if you were to tighten some coil ears without a coil between the ears?  It causes a pinching motion that would stress the ears to a point of breaking if the screw or other tightening device was completely tightened.  It must break away if it has been molded. 

The 'concept' becomes a system (subject to patents possibly) when you select the materials, sizes, shapes, thread of the screws, bushings, lengths, etc.  Ideally all of this will be stress tested in some lab multiple times before released for sale.

One 'key' to the system selected is the play between the ears and the shaft connector.  If you leave too big of a gap in the design, then you must look for 'shims' or bushings to reduce stress on the ears.  Friction is required to keep the coil from flopping, and you increase friction with a tighter screw.

That being my understanding, the 6000 system is much different than other systems that Minelab has used for CTX, eTrac, Equinox, Explorer type detectors.  I don't own a 6000 and I can't guess what is making that system crack.  Something is being stressed unless it is just plastic drying as the result of the curing process.  

On 10/21/2022 at 2:27 PM, GotAU? said:

Well one can assume the cracking plastic that is on the earlier coils ears (unknown date range) is the entire coil, it's not like they used different plastic on the ear section of the coil than the rest of it.  That's party why I was so concerned about it as my coils are used in rocky areas and I do give my coils the rough treatment, if anyone's going to crack one its probably me 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 6:27 PM, GotAU? said:

1934A9C1-AC86-46C7-BC9C-6276D6FD54F1.thumb.jpeg.091408fcfe7cd76055aff659e8857e5e.jpeg

Thank you Minelab! I just sent my cracked coil above and their turnaround was lightning quick with a brand new one. I have to admit, their customer service is excellent!

• Like 2