Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones And GPX 6000

billdean

I have been trying to use my Sun Ray head phones with my 6000. I purchased an adapter to convert the 1/4” plug to eighth inch but I only get 1/2 the volume. Are there different adapter for a 1/4” plug that might make it work correctly? Anyone else use Sun Ray head phones with the 6000?

1 minute ago, billdean said:

I have been trying to use my Sun Ray head phones with my 6000. I purchased an adapter to convert the 1/4” plug to eighth inch but I only get 1/2 the volume.

Just in case you haven't tried it (likely you have), did you try the two switches on the one headphone in all four positions?  One of those switches will severely mute the sound on my Pro Golds when using it with the WM08 of the Equinox.

One PitA of adapters and even with audio connectors in general is that there appears not to be tight standard on the plug length (and/or effective socket lentgh).  This seems to be particularly bad with the 1/4" plug-socket mating.  I use a 3.5 mm male to 1/4" female to mate the WM08 to my Pro Golds (which aren't the CTX version, btw) and I have to use four plastic washers slid onto the 1/4" male plug to get proper contact/mating.  It works but IMO these things should never happen with good standards and manufacturer tolerances.

• Like 1

I had a pair of SunRay Pros but didn't know they come in red and yellow volume colored knobs. I traded for a pair and they had the red knobs..IMHO way to many positions and I never got used to them. Stay away from the red knobbed volume controlled ones. Everytime you go out to use them you will end up futzing with the knobs to get both sides of the earphones to work. My last pair had the yellow knobs and never had issues with those. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

I was hoping maybe someone could provide a link to the type adapter that I would need. My sun rays have a 1/4” jack. 

45 minutes ago, billdean said:

I was hoping maybe someone could provide a link to the type adapter that I would need. My sun rays have a 1/4” jack.

Here's the one I use with the WM08 of the ML Equinox.  First one lasted 2.75 years.  (Originally got it for another detector setup.)  Current one still going after almost 2.5 years.  But I do have to put four 1/4" plastic washers on the Pro Gold 1/4" plug to get that to mate securely to the adapter, otherwise it's loose and the sound cuts in and out.

I've tried other less expensive ones and they were crap.  I don't know if these will just plug-and-play with the GPX6000, though, so maybe someone else can give you advice/link of ones that work for them.  Also, I don't have the CTX version of the Pro Golds -- the standard version works fine for my Eqx setup.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones And GPX 6000
1 hour ago, billdean said:

Minelab Headphone Adaptor Cable 3.5mm (1/8-inch) to 6.35mm (1/4-inch) Part No. 3011-0369

minelab-equinox-18-14-headphone-adapter-cable.jpg

Minelab 1/8" male waterproof connection to 1/4" female non-waterproof connection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1