Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones And GPX 6000

billdean

2 hours ago, billdean said:

Thanks Steve…..

You're welcome, Walter.

I have had my sun rays for 3 or 4 years. They are the red knobs. Unfortunately I have never used them do to the 1/4” jack. I had bought an adapter but it never worked right. 

18 hours ago, oldmancoyote1 said:

I have had similar problems in the past.  In my case I was getting only one of the two stereo channels.  Fiddling around with the 3.5 mm plug fixed the issue.

Makes sense, as I use a Lipo battery on my GPX 5000 I have no amplifier in it, but I use a power speaker on my GPX which eliminates the need for the Amplifier in the GPX battery but I wanted to make an audio cable that allowed me to use both the original GPX battery and the Lipo battery.

To do this I made the 1/4" plug end that went into the batteries a mono plug to disable the GPX amp, if I didn't do this my little powered speaker went crazy from the amp in the GPX battery driving it too hard I guess.

At the other end I had to put a stereo plug for my speaker to get full volume, if I had it wired as mono I would get half volume, by bridging the mono audio wires to make the plug end stereo I was able to get full volume.

I hope that makes sense, but yes, if it's getting a mono audio for some reason it may well be half volume.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Just in case you haven't tried it (likely you have), did you try the two switches on the one headphone in all four positions?  One of those switches will severely mute the sound on my Pro Golds when using it with the WM08 of the Equinox.

One PitA of adapters and even with audio connectors in general is that there appears not to be tight standard on the plug length (and/or effective socket lentgh).  This seems to be particularly bad with the 1/4" plug-socket mating.  I use a 3.5 mm male to 1/4" female to mate the WM08 to my Pro Golds (which aren't the CTX version, btw) and I have to use four plastic washers slid onto the 1/4" male plug to get proper contact/mating.  It works but IMO these things should never happen with good standards and manufacturer tolerances.

Yes i had tried all the positions but the cheap adapter just never worked right. I would really like to use an adapter that i did not have to fool with. Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Makes sense, as I use a Lipo battery on my GPX 5000 I have no amplifier in it, but I use a power speaker on my GPX which eliminates the need for the Amplifier in the GPX battery but I wanted to make an audio cable that allowed me to use both the original GPX battery and the Lipo battery.

To do this I made the 1/4" plug end that went into the batteries a mono plug to disable the GPX amp, if I didn't do this my little powered speaker went crazy from the amp in the GPX battery driving it too hard I guess.

At the other end I had to put a stereo plug for my speaker to get full volume, if I had it wired as mono I would get half volume, by bridging the mono audio wires to make the plug end stereo I was able to get full volume.

I hope that makes sense, but yes, if it's getting a mono audio for some reason it may well be half volume.

Thanks phrunt……you guys are getting way to technical for me! I kind of like plug and play! I am not much into taking stuff apart and re-engineering it, but I am sure this is helpful to others.

• Like 1

There are two types of 1/4 to 1/8 adapters; Stereo and Mono. Stereo has 2 black lines/rings on the male end, Mono only one. I think the Stereo version is what you need. I purchased one of each at a guitar shop when I was setting up my Tarsacci to use the Z link wireless with Killer Bs. Very similar to the Sun Rays.

• Like 1