Addition & Subtraction

Depending on what program you select on the Deus II it processes using one of the above methods, curious to know what other MF detectors may be using like the Legend or NOX. As far as I know you don’t get a choice with those.

What do they actually do? I am assuming subtraction will not include ground responses from iron and salt based minerals so will be quieter but less deep on fringe targets whereas addition will add in the ground responses but may be noisier but deeper on fringe targets that start taking on the ground. Am I on the right lines? Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Fox said:

Depending on what program you select on the Deus II it processes using one of the above methods, curious to know what other MF detectors may be using like the Legend or NOX. As far as I know you don’t get a choice with those.

What do they actually do? I am assuming subtraction will not include ground responses from iron and salt based minerals so will be quieter but less deep on fringe targets whereas addition will add in the ground responses but may be noisier but deeper on fringe targets that start taking on the ground. Am I on the right lines? Thanks.

Read this thread for more insight.  Ignore everything until you get to Pimento UK's first post (linked above).

Correct, it's not discussed there.
I don't actually know what the difference between the two is. I was under the impression 'subtractive' was the 'normal' MF technique, and so the mention of additive intrigues me.

Suffice to say, the designers think it's best for the particular circumstances, so just get on and use it.