Bushing For Carbon Fiber Lower Shaft On Deus II

Jed in NC

finally set up my own nokta CF lower shaft

it was a bit chattery in the field so i ran my pinpointer down just the shaft and sure enough it was hitting on almost the whole shaft. i assume because of the carbon in the shaft it makes it pretty conductive.

i think it was a coincidence as the other shaft was just as chattery, but the stock shaft didnt trigger my pin pointer.

Cheddar,

Carbon fiber tubes are weakly conductive, and touching a pinpointer on the shaft will confirm that.  However, with the shaft not "in motion" relative to the coil, it is not "detected" by the coil on a VLF-IB detector.  As such, it would not be the genesis of any "chatter" that you may be hearing. 

Further, the consensus is that any "alteration" to the coil's magnetic field itself, that would occur as a result of the weakly conductive carbon fiber residing within the coil's magnetic field, is minimal at best.  Thus, using carbon fiber as the shaft material results in no deleterious effects on the detector's "detection capability," unlike what might be possible with a much more conductive (metal) lower rod (hence why so many detector manufacturers use carbon-fiber shafts on their high-end machines, but NONE use aluminum, for instance)...

Steve

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cheddar said:

finally set up my own nokta CF lower shaft

it was a bit chattery in the field so i ran my pinpointer down just the shaft and sure enough it was hitting on almost the whole shaft. i assume because of the carbon in the shaft it makes it pretty conductive.

i think it was a coincidence as the other shaft was just as chattery, but the stock shaft didnt trigger my pin pointer.

That's odd. I checked mine with the detector off and nothing set off my pinpointer except near the aluminum upper shaft and down near the coil. It does go off when the detector is on because the it picks up the field generated above the coil which goes pretty high when the sensitivity is high. The chattering you are experiencing may be due to running the sensitivity too high.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, TwoBitTony said:

I bought the shaft but it does not fit the coil, not even close!?? 

You'll need to sand the sides and, in some cases, the bottom of the CF shaft's plastic mount to fit properly in the Deus coil's mount. Remember these CF shafts were designed for another detector, not the Deus, but with a little work they will fit and work perfectly.