Why Have We Not Demanded Front Facing Speakers For This Tonal Hobby

I'd like to see if audio exciters could be used in detectors. For anyone who doesn't know what they are - they basically turn anything into a speaker, like a control box or whatever. So they could be put anywhere there is extra space, and the entire detector could technically be a speaker so sound would emanate from a number of directions. They could be made quite a lot smaller for detectors (like 3/4" or less) where low end response isn't a major concern as it is with music. 

An audio exciter would probably include some amount of vibration in the handle just by default too, but not like a pinpointer, you'd feel the actual frequencies changing I think. 

I first saw them on Tech Ingredients Youtube channel where they essentially made world class speakers out of some pieces of generic foam insulation and some fairly small exciters, like 2-3" across. I ordered a pair that same day, and built a set myself. They do work. Just for kicks I was sticking the exciters on everything - desk, wall, window, plate, a chunk of scrap wood - all made decent speakers. Basically anything I stuck it to had good enough audio response for a metal detector.

The only time I ever use headphones is in heavy wind. 

image.jpeg.e746d6edfeb2907bb4ddc996b678b231.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasong said:

I'd like to see if audio exciters could be used in detectors.

I've used a small button shaped audio exciter attached to the speakers on my mobile phone.. The aim was to be able to hear the phone better with my hearing aids.. It worked really well but it kept falling off in my pocket and eventually I lost it.. But I can see them working well attached to the front of the control box on detectors.. If anything, these tiny little things could give detectorists of all stripes another edge..    

Screenshot 2022-10-29 190312.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, Hombre91 said:

Where metal detecting is tonal and in many cases tone is or should be a higher priority than a VDI I am at a loss in 2022 to understand this design flaw, or lack of it being an option. Weight? No. Space? No. Electronic Capability? No.

Dogs like external speakers too  , they can hear then miles away 🙂 ... and then you have no choice than hearing them the rest of the outing  ... 🙂   This is one of the reasons why I always use headphones .

"Opened" headphones are a good compromise because you can hear both the detector audio and the surrounding environment . For example the XP WS4 or WS6. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, palzynski said:

Dogs like external speakers too  , they can hear then miles away 🙂 

This is why speakers are useful hunting for gold. We've already had 3 grizzly attacks just in October here. Almost always they are people not making sound and surprising the bear. I've never seen a bear when I'm blaring my detector. I've seen them when I'm just walking around silently though. 

I've run into a wolf, multiple mountain lions, and places I detect can be 10-12 rattlers per day (Arizona is nothing compared to some places up North here). I had one lion follow me and growl at me or my dog, which thankfully I heard and backed out of a canyon before I got in a worse spot. Speakers both alert other things of my presence as well as let me listen for dangers. 

I keep my dog with me for similar reasons. But I also need my senses sharp to pay attention to him too. I can see good use for headphones on the beach, in towns. But IMO every single gold detector intended for use in the wilds should be built with good, functional speakers for safety reasons alone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasong said:

This is why speakers are useful hunting for gold. We've already had 3 grizzly attacks just in October here....

You are courageous in the US ... Probably I woud hesitate a little before going out with bears in the area ...🙂 

Hopefully we have no bears over here, but I am always careful in the woods  ... A friend of mine has been attacked by hornets in a wood a few years ago , perhaps they did not like the XP audio I dont know ... 🙂   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, palzynski said:

Dogs like external speakers too  , they can hear then miles away 🙂 ... and then you have no choice than hearing them the rest of the outing  ... 🙂   This is one of the reasons why I always use headphones .

"Opened" headphones are a good compromise because you can hear both the detector audio and the surrounding environment . For example the XP WS4 or WS6. 

Don't forget the WSA II backphones 😀 Just got a pair expressly to try the WS6 Master setup. 👍 I can just as easily pop that smaller puck off, pair it to the WS6, and use larger over-ear headphones, but it's hunting season now and forest creatures are running scared. 🤪 Going to give that setup a try soon. May lengthen my hunting. Coyotes and deer in the rut are my problem.

• Like 1