The Effects Of Gold Mining In Peru. Ouch.

I have a very different take on this.  We live in cities formed by leveling forests, tearing down mountains of building stone, destroying animal habitats and draining lakes and wet lands. The poverty stricken residents of these lands want a better life for themselves and their children.  Why is it a horrible environmental tragedy that these people want to develop their natural resources and develop a better life? It is EXACTLY what we have done. Unless you are living the total technology and lifestyle of 500 BC., you are a hypocrite to deny these people the opportunity to better their lives the way our forefathers did. I can tell you as a writer and some one who has long been involved in environmental issues that articles like this are pure propaganda pieces which ignore the facts to gain converts and donations.  

• Like 6

Chris, you couldn't have said it better. I'll bet the London area used to be a beautiful forested area, now its 100% City. Same thing with many other parts of the world. Farming have removed more habitat than any other industry, and for good reason, to sustain the population.

• Like 1

So we here in the US want to stop dredging  because the mercury in our water. You get people to sign a paper and they don't know what end is up let along what they signing are what's behind it 

You get a dredge in a river and it's going to pickup that mercury that's in it.  You get a lot of people dredging in that same river and in a short time that river will be free of mercury. You won't find any dredger throw that mercury away because it's got gold in it.

Steve said it best it's called responsible mining .

Chuck

• Like 1

Reno Chris has nailed this, despite all the rhetoric about environmental "issues", what we should do to be responsible etc etc. we are naught but hypocrites when we bag mining, whilst we benefit from this great industry. We have resources we require for our fine standard of living, and we have technology to mine these resources and advance our society further plus help those who aren`t so fortunate. 

One thing else before you dismiss me as a environmental vandal I live totally off grid, my power to house, shed, water pumps etc come totally from solar panels and a little from wind turbines. My acknowledgement of my responsibility to sustainability. All this made possible by mining, and then there is our vehicles, our fuel etc etc right down to our detectors.

A book written by OZs world renowned Geologist Ian Plimer called "Not for Greens" tells the story of the humble teaspoons origin and illustrates the complicated process`s required for such a small simple implement to be available for our table use. It is enlightening book thats first chapter is written by Patrick Moore (the originator of Greenpeace)

• Like 1

Sure, I support responsible mining – we all do. However, who gets to decide what that is? A few days ago I watched a local TV program about Nevada Mining. They presented various viewpoints, including environmentalists who oppose mining. One guy who has been involved in local politics here in Northern Nevada for decades declared that there was no need whatsoever for gold mining – that we already had enough gold and all gold mining was an unnecessary degradation of the environment. He said that on the TV. So in his book, all of our gold mining is unnecessary destruction of the environment, not a bit of it is reasonable mining. Of course that’s not a unanimous view, but lots of folks would agree with him – far more than we care to admit.

The artisanal miners mentioned in the article use picks and shovels, but the article makes them sound bad, and irresponsible. We use picks and shovels, we think our prospecting is responsible and has little or no impact. Yes, they use mercury in these remote villages and really in this day and age, there is no reason for it. The old time miners here used tons of mercury because it was so cheap – far more than these modern small scale miners - and most of that old time mercury eventually made it into the environment. There were many hundreds of hydraulic mines in the California mother lode, nearly all of which used mercury in large amounts. The Mother lode had many hundreds of lode mines and all the mills used mercury – dumping tons into the streams in their tailings. So as a result, today we see the Sierra foothills are barren moonscapes devoid of all life – with no plants and no animals – the mercury has killed everything. And every kid who once swam in those waters or eaten any fish from them is mentally retarded and unable to think – but wait - that is totally wrong. You guys who have been there know that what I have just said is not true at all. The reality is that in spite of all that mercury, the Sierra Nevada forests are lush and beautiful, they teem with wildlife and the waters are fine. Even the fish only have tiny traces of mercury, and they swim in those waters their whole lives.

So “responsible” mining is a viewpoint. We think we are responsible. The old time miners, who really did do some notable damage, thought they were acting in a responsible manner too. The artisanal miners think they are reasonable and responsible too. Who is to say they are not? Many Greenies and progressives think all mining is evil destruction of the environment.  From the greenie viewpoint, you guys in construction are in the business of destroying animal habitat to allow rich humans to live in cushy homes built by wrecking the environment at the construction site and in other locations too.

So when you read an article like this, think about the viewpoint of the author. Look at what they are trying to feed you. Be skeptical and think for yourself.  Clear cutting for farming destroys 100 times more land in the Amazon basin than mining does. Don’t drink the greenie Kool Aid.

• Like 6