What's Important In Wired Headphones?

My Vanquish 440 came with a set of wired headphones.ย  They are OK (I think), but kind of pretty hot on your ears in the tropics.ย 

I tried bud telephone headphones instead and they seem to produce tones...ย 

My question is: what's important in choosing wired headphones and is there anything that I need to know about buds?ย  I haven't seen many detectorists with bud headphones, but maybe it's because I haven't seen many detectorists... ๐Ÿ™‚

• The title was changed to What's Important In Wired Headphones?

The main reason people use wired headphones is because of the near zero latency of wired headphones. That means there is no perceivable lag between detecting a target under the coil and the tone response reaching your ears.

There are quite a few threads in the Equinox section about best earbuds to use. The Vanquish uses the same type of Bluetooth connection as the Equinox so any phones that work on one will work on the other. They just need to be Bluetooth APTX-LL (Low Latency) earbuds to take advantage of the fast connection. You can use earbuds that are not Low Latency but you will notice a lag in the sound response to targets which can make it harder to pinpoint the target in the ground.

ย 

Agreed, (out likes๐Ÿ˜ต)

ย  I have some nice wired and wireless headphones! On ear, over-the-ear, and in-ear! But seem to always gravitate back to the wired "buds"! Heat is a huge factor for me, in coastal Central Florida! (Formerly South Florida ๐Ÿฅต) Also being aware of my surroundings is important! Eyes are near always sidetracked when detecting! Ears do a better job of multitasking (for me), and early warning!!ย 

Now, a little sound quality, and possibly some whisper targets may be missed; i admit, but comfort and security are more important for me, in my areas! Unless the surf is really pounding; like a "winter storm๐Ÿ˜‚" here, its negledgeable! Cooler weather opens up my listening options, and I'm well stocked to take advantage!

Here's my favorite buds so far, as they have a bungee wire and have been surprisingly tough! First pair are still going, after about 3 years, and I just bought a backup set, JIC! They've been dropped in the sand, water, and pavement, squished, and washed off numerous times! I know there are other waterproof/sweatproof ones out there, but this "back-of the-head" configuration has worked well for me, as they stay put, and don't pull out easily! And I can wear my big sun hats, unlike normal headphones! Plus, when people stop me, and want to chat for a bit (beaches more than anywhere else๐Ÿ˜), I don't have to remove them! Also, short bungee wire "extensions" are cheap, and help stop the "pull offs" on your favorite wired headphones, that inevitably happens! I also use the WM 08 with the Nox, in my pocket! So sorta wireless, and less issues!

Good luck out there!!๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

20221022_132310.jpg

I use some 'sport' earpieces, that have the hook going behind the ear to secure them, but the speaker element is 'large' ( actually 14mm diam ) and simply points at the ear canal, and doesn't go into it. They seem comfortable for long-time use.
Sorry I can't come up with a brand/model , but based on the description, you may be able to find something similar.