Has anyone noticed First Texas has bumped up the price of the T2 Classic which was USD $499 to $639?  Are they insane?  This has to be the most cloned detector on planet earth being decades old and well and truly well duplicated by the Chinese and in all reality the clones appear to be so similar to the original for a small fraction of the price there really is no justification for raising the price, it's a kamikaze mission.   It appears they're trying to kill the last ever sales they would ever get.  They're so far behind the competition now they really are obsolete yet they put up the price?

https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/products/detectors/teknetics-t2-classic

It's so disappointing to see this happening, I really like my two T2's but I'm not stupid, they're now an entry level detector in today's market with some brands entry level detectors being far superior so having them priced like this is so unrealistic  What are they thinking!!!!  I made the image Sepiatone to suit the era the detector was released.

641786108_t2classic.thumb.png.56f7d5603d44ccc69b668889d3170e25.png

• Like 2

Really liked my T2,  but that was some years ago now. You made some very good points.  Perhaps First Texas is counting on the old saying; "There's a fool born every minute" to buy their old out dated stuff.

Kind of reminded me back when  White's re packaged the TDI SL  with new paint and decals (but not a damn thing more)

Good to see  Garret pushing the envelope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

What are they thinking!!!!  I made the image Sepiatone to suit the era the detector was released.

Yes the first version of the T2 ( T2 Classic ) was released in 2007 , 15 years ago ... It is time for them to release something new , for example a new T2 with compact electronics , lithium battery , a lighter shaft etc ... 

• Like 2

Yes, they could modernize it and justify the price a bit more....  maybe like this, oh wait, it's a competitors entry level detector sold for $279 USD with near identical performance but absolutely packed with modern features, that's right, $279, not $639.   You're embarrassing yourself Teknetics.

Specifications

Retractable Shaft - Shaft retracts down to 63 cm (25"). Great for easy transport, storage as well as diving!
Iron Volume - Turns off or adjusts the volume of the low iron tone.
Notch Discrimination - Discriminates Target IDs of unwanted metals.
Built-in Wireless Module for headphones
Fabulous Lighting for Night & Underwater Use - LCD Backlight, Keypad Backlight and LED Flashlight.
Built-in Lipo Battery - Easily charge it with a USB charger or powerbank.
Online Firmware Updates - Stay up-to-date with firmware updates (via USB on PC) and get the most out of your detector.
IP68 - Fully submersible up to 3 meters (10 ft) and protected from total dust ingress.

Operating Principle VLF
Operating Frequency 12kHz
Search Modes 5 (Field / Park 1 / Park 2 / Beach / All Metal)
Audio Tones 3
Notch Filter Yes
Pinpoint Yes
Vibration Yes
Frequency Shift Yes
Sensitivity Setting 6 Levels
Target ID 00-99
Search Coil Waterproof DD Search Coil - 28cm / 11"
Display Graphic LCD
Backlight Yes
Keypad Backlight Yes
LED Flashlight Yes
Weight 1.3 kg (2.9lbs.) including the search coil
Length 63 cm - 132 cm (25" - 52") adjustable
Battery

2300mAh Lithium Polymer

• Like 5

The T2 may be well long in the tooth,mine is a original green one that i got new here in the UK back in 2006/7 but after using it for 10 years as my everyday machine for 10 years i change to a Deus and also a Nox but still kept my T2 as a back,my finds rate dropped like a lead balloon over night......so went back to my T2 and the finds went up straight away.....this machine especially when using my Sharpshooter coil has found me more silver and gold hammered and milled coinage than all my other machines put together.

Its deadly on both roman and saxon sites,with out doubt my all time favourite detector and cannot see any machine taking that crown and i have lots of detectors and coils,my biggest mistake was falling for all these latest machine hype like the Deus and Nox which i will highlight both have had 100s and 100s of hours of use so pretty experienced with them,but the T2 still keeps up and excels these more modern machines.

• Like 8

That's really cool Rick, I guess in the UK you're more of a dig it all kinda guy where detectors like the T2 excel,  what do you think makes the T2 more successful for you?  I know it's quite good at sifting the good for the bad in junky areas.

I have an original green and a T2 Classic, I didn't buy the sharpshooter for my T2, I bought it for my Gold Bug Pro, my only aftermarket T2 coil is the Mars Tiger.  I have the 5" and 15" trash can lid for it though.

It'd be great if they ever released a modern version of it.

• Like 1

I loved my T-2 SE even with all it's drawbacks. It might have done well had they fixed its problems and modernized it now and then.

Pros- Great depth and processing. The EMI sensitivity was actually a good thing that gave it superior performance.

Cons - The coil sucked and was basically throwaway. 

The settings needed to be re-set every time you turned it on.

The volume knob was in a bad location and would turn if you brushed against it.

It was a little heavy by today's standards.

• Like 2

Yes, it's not that it wasn't a good detector, it's more that they have given up, other than releasing it in hot pink, yellow and orange we may never see a new version of it.   For those that do like it, wouldn't you like to get an upgraded version of it? One with all of those features the competitions entry level detector is packed with for a fraction of the price.  I bring up that detector as if I didn't know better I'd think it was based upon the T2 software, there are so many similarities in the way it performs and behaves.  It's what the T2 SE should have been.

I agree the coil was rubbish, hated that thing and had to replace it quick smart, the Mars Tiger was a fantastic replacement.

I was just a bit shocked they've put the price up, do they really think it will sell well at that price?

My favorite T2 coil was the 10" x 15" SEF.  I remember going back to a site that I had hunted for 20 years with many different detectors and getting 7 very deep coppers.

I sold the T2 after getting the Equinox. I don't really miss it much.

• Like 2