1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

If they can offer a package for the same price as a bare detector, they can easily afford to drop $50 off the package price if they keep the package.

But they can't advertise $50 off for detector only if the detector is already offered at the MAP price.  They can (and apparently do) offer a package for the detector only MAP price.  And they also can sell at lower than MAP price if you contact them and negotiate privately.  Whether Serious Detecting negotiates, though, I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

But they can't advertise $50 off for detector only if the detector is already offered at the MAP price.  They can (and apparently do) offer a package for the detector only MAP price.  And they also can sell at lower than MAP price if you contact them and negotiate privately.  Whether Serious Detecting negotiates, though, I don't know.

Yup, that came to me after I posted. There is a limit to how low they can advertise.

I personally don't like calling vendors to negotiate a price but I suppose email would work just as well. It's just time consuming. It will probably be a while before I buy another machine. There aren't many places worth detecting anymore. The land sites are all hunted out and the beaches have been sanded in for years.

So is the purpose of the $639 MAP? MSRP? MMT? MAC? Sorry you'll have to forgive me, I don't understand all these abbreviated M codes you guys in the US use after sales prices.  I'll try again, is the purpose of that change in price Teknetics direct have done on their website to make the detector look like it's a higher value item, them everyone is going to be still selling it at the much cheaper $499 price so people think they're getting a great deal? Is it some sort of marketing going on?

I say this as only a couple of months ago it was $499 on Teknetics Direct, now it's $639, found that such a puzzle that they would such dramatically change the price of such an old outdated detector model at a time when competition in the marketplace is so fierce as their offering is not really what you'd call in demand.

As for Serious Detecting selling the 11" T2 coil for $14900 perhaps they were a little confused, they probably thought the reason nobody wanted to use that coil was as they loved it so much, treasured it, made it a collectable and assumed because of this it was a high value collectable item.  It may not have occurred to them the reason people don't use that coil is because it is rubbish?

52 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you don’t want packages call and make cash offer for detector only. I’d do business with Ewout (owner at Serious) any day. Met him at a Minelab dealer meeting years ago, really good guy, smart as a whip.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eakozel

Good to know Steve. Thanks.  It's always nice to get insider info and I trust your opinion. I take back what I said about Serious.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

As for Serious Detecting selling the 11" T2 coil for $14900 perhaps they were a little confused, they probably thought the reason nobody wanted to use that coil was as they loved it so much, treasured it, made it a collectable and assumed because of this it was a high value collectable item.  It may not have occurred to them the reason people don't use that coil is because it is rubbish?

My guess is that they meant for the price to be $149.00 and didn't notice the mistake. 

FT had to know the coil was rubbish from the very beginning but they kept on producing it. If I owned the company, flaws like that would drive me nuts. I would have the problem corrected asap.

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

So (what) is the purpose of the $639 (price)?

...Is the purpose of that change in price Teknetics direct have done on their website to make the detector look like it's a higher value item, them everyone is going to be still selling it at the much cheaper $499 price so people think they're getting a great deal? Is it some sort of marketing going on?

I was thinking along the same lines.  Their distributors have detectors on inventory that aren't selling but for which they paid a hefty(?) wholesale price.  For the dealers to drop down from the $499 (basic Green model), there might not be much if any profit left.  (Some may still have models from when the retail price and MAP were considerably higher.)   If Tek Direct shows a high price then the dealers' prices look like a good deal.  Of course anyone who's followed the market even peripherally would know better than to get sucked in.  That's all I can think of.

Does anyone know the voltage rating of the flux capacitor on that coil?

• Haha 1