The MSRP vs MAP paradigm crosses all industries and certainly is not something created by the detector industry. It’s just the way we do business in the US. A fake price and a real price to give the impression of value and being on sale, all based on the presumption that consumers are stupid. 

• Like 2

I own an orig green T2 plus a Chinese copy, both function identically with the same depth, ID numbers etc. The coil supplied with the Chinese copy was junk though, could never ground balance. Had it replaced with a Ukrainian one and it runs superbly. AU$295 for the T2 copy and the Cors coil combined. If the proper new T2 was advertised for US$399, they'd actually sell some. There is nothing owing to FTP in regards to the T2, its been around for decades now and they can afford to discount it heavily, especially considering its such a cheap detector to produce.

• Like 1

I think the only place they would sell genuine T2's now is in the USA as the clones are not flooding the US market like they are elsewhere in the world, the clones are much easier to get your hands on elsewhere than the real thing all over Ebay, Aliexpress and local auction sites and for a fraction of the price, I've seen the Chinese T2's for as little as $148 NZD, which is about $84 USD and that's delivered, hard to complete with that especially with the USD so high.  Most companies would discontinue the detector to get away from the counterfeits, a bit like Minelab when the X-terra was cloned, they discontinued it, now they're everywhere all over Aliexpress but seeing it's no longer a product Minelab sell people are less likely to think they're buying a real one when it's a fake.

I wouldn't trust anyone selling a T2 here saying it's a real one, I'd need some pretty good proof before I'd buy it, it's very unlikely to be real.

• Like 1

Funny Thing……in small print  at The bottom of most MAP price ad’s for a new detector …..will state ……. (call or email us 1st, you will be glad you did) …… I’ve purchased many new detectors over the years & never paid MAP