Value Of A Nice Gp 3500

DSMITH

was offered a GP 3500 in really nice condition coil did not have a scratch on it and neither did anything else, by a woman in the area I currently live it only had one coil a battery that is probably no longer working and a carry bag price was $500 but she seemed really negotiable on price was told her husband purchased it like 10 years ago he got sick and did not get to use it much she told me he paid like $700 when he purchased it back then said he purchase used 

never thought to take photos of it or serial number

but got to thinking about it and going back and making a offer so in every ones opinion what would the value of a GP3500 be

I do not want to cheat the lady but dont want to get taken either and I do not want to purchase if it was stolen either so is there a way to check that also

thanks for reading

• The title was changed to Value Of A Nice Gp 3500

For myself I had the 3500 and I found it to be a great detector. To be the biggest problem with a older detector is it goes down is getting it fixed.

I’d say with just one coil and if the battery would hold a change the price is more than right.

I’m sure others like dealers can help you better than myself.

Best of luck!

Chuck 

• Like 1

A gp3000 just sold here on this forum for $1K. I would say a fair price for the 3500 with a single coil and probably a dead battery is about $1K. Pay her what she is asking or if it makes you feel better a little more. I sold a 3500 with 2 coils and 2 batteries on this forum for $1200 a couple of years ago. Both the buyer and I felt it was a fair deal. One of the batteries turned out to rather ill. At that time Doc still had fresh batteries for it.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT said:

A gp3000 just sold here on this forum for $1K. I would say a fair price for the 3500 with a single coil and probably a dead battery is about $1K. Pay her what she is asking or if it makes you feel better a little more. I sold a 3500 with 2 coils and 2 batteries on this forum for $1200 a couple of years ago. Both the buyer and I felt it was a fair deal. One of the batteries turned out to rather ill. At that time Doc still had fresh batteries for it.

Mike

can you still purchase batteries for the GP3500, my other concern is not being able to turn it on if the battery is not charged up.

I’ve sold 2 clean condition GP 3500’s for about $1k each, the same price I paid for them. They seem to be holding their value around there, so $750 is a great deal.  You can easily rebuild their stock batteries- gel cells that size are pretty inexpensive, so don’t toss the top on them if you are recycling old ones, I don’t have the right reference for which replacement battery to get, but I bet someone on here or on Bill’s site knows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 6v sealed lead batteries are cheap enough. This is the size you want as the dome top fits exactly……easy to disconnect from the dead battery and resolder onto the +- tabs of your new one. Just wrap the dome with a few turns of gaffa tape and you’re done.

8424B906-4630-4DB9-8297-C2DD9E429AAF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GP3500…….one of Minelabs best. That price is very good…..grab it. If the unit ever went bad then there are people who can fix it down here. Mick at Detectronics Australia is the best 👍

• Like 2

I believe you can still get the aluminium junction boxes, if you want to use a different size battery (where the standard plastic dome won't fit). There is a half size 7ah gel cell battery you can get which is still good for a full days running, and the weight is about half. 

• Like 5

Yep! My first PI was a used SD2200D, in 2016 and I got an easy upgrade to the smaller lithium batteries right away. There are probably still easy conversion kits from Doc for this model, where I got my gold screamer. Those old detectors are still awesome. Just swing it over gold! Found a fair bit still with my 2200. Betcha can with a 3500 👍

• Like 1