Dry Ground

Hello Diggin'it. I re-read your introductory post and would suggest putting the 4x6 shooter aside. This wasn't White's best ball. Have one in the arsenal myself but used it only 2 times.

Try to get the 6x10DD (White's) or a 7"DD Ultimate or a SEF 8x6DD (both made by Detech). But be sure the coil is made for the MX7 (cann't remember the loop connector).

On the other hand the stock 950 wich came with the detector will do fine, too.

GL & HH

• Like 4

5 hours ago, locator said:

Try to get the 6x10DD (White's) or a 7"DD Ultimate or a SEF 8x6DD (both made by Detech). But be sure the coil is made for the MX7 (cann't remember the loop connector).

On the other hand the stock 950 wich came with the detector will do fine, too.

What about the 6" concentric?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, locator said:

May be someone else can chime in, plz. (Monte?!)

Not surprisingly Monte prefers the concentric.  Here is a quote from one of his posts on the MX-7/Sport coils (and I'm sure there are more):

For me, the 7" DD had more weaknesses and the 6½" Concentric has more strengths. One quick performance comparison? I used my 'short-stack' of silver coins (5 Walking Liberty Halves on top of a Peace Dollar) and the 7" DD? --thumbs down The 6½" Concentric? -- thumbs up
(posted on his AHRPS forum on Feb 17, 2020)

• Like 1

I have the 950 and the 13" Detech Ultimate DD MX Sport Coil. I always read the smaller worked better in high trash areas, hence the six shooter. Both of the others gave wild readings, but maybe I didn't have them dialed in right. I went yesterday for about an hour and a half, took the tracking lock off, and ground balanced manually, and tried the sensitivity at 2, and 1. It took a lot of other signals out, but the ones I got still were crazy. Swinging in one direction, it would show penny/quarter or half dollar, when I swung back, the it showed iron, or pull tab most of the time. there are a good bit of old pull tabs around, so that was correct. Here is some of the stuff I found, lots of thin pieces of metal were in the hole with the brass geared shaft...wondered if it went to a clock, or music box maybe.

Oct.2022.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Diggin' It said:

I have the 950 and the 13" Detech Ultimate DD MX Sport Coil. I always read the smaller worked better in high trash areas, hence the six shooter. Both of the others gave wild readings, but maybe I didn't have them dialed in right. I went yesterday for about an hour and a half, took the tracking lock off, and ground balanced manually, and tried the sensitivity at 2, and 1. It took a lot of other signals out, but the ones I got still were crazy. Swinging in one direction, it would show penny/quarter or half dollar, when I swung back, the it showed iron, or pull tab most of the time. there are a good bit of old pull tabs around, so that was correct. Here is some of the stuff I found, lots of thin pieces of metal were in the hole with the brass geared shaft...wondered if it went to a clock, or music box maybe.

Oops... that is more than one problem. If that was an area I'd like to hunt I'd use the GB "locked" and the disc as high to reject the aluminum (tabs or can slaw). - But with that small jewelry and other metal in that range would be lost, even good stuff masked by the iron. Right here in my area I've two places with equal problems. Both places I've removed from the scratch-book.

GL&HH

• Like 1

Your brass geared shaft is a wick adjuster for a kerosene lamp. It may be marked on the knob face.

• Like 3