To Hunt With A Threshold Or Not?

I'm not new to prospecting or metal detectors but I am new to owning a PI machine I've used the gpz a lot but never owned a PI so now I have a Whites TDI and I'm wondering rather to turn my thershold all the way down so I only hear targets or to hunt with a threshold like I see my cousin do with his gpz 7000? Any positives or negatives. I'm not a fan of bees in my head but I will keep it if I get say better depth.

• Like 1

Not sure how your cousin uses his GPZ but most of us will hunt with a threshold that is comfortable to our ears...and just audible to hear. Hunting without a threshold you will miss targets and hunting with a threshold too loud you will miss targets. 

Strick

• Like 6

I am no expert, but I believe the threshold on the TDI is the carrier for the target tone.

You can hunt with "silent search" on the TDI but the only target responses will be really strong ones if the threshold knob is set to minimum. If you are just hunting for big stuff....no problem.

If you are hunting for smaller stuff like tiny sub gram gold nuggets the threshold needs to be at least barely audible since your tiny gold target may just sound like a slight repeatable waiver in the threshold tone.

When I am using a TDI for coin hunting I turn up the threshold until I can just hear it and back it off just a tiny bit.

If I am hunting for smaller gold nuggets I turn up the threshold until I can hear it softly but clearly in the background.

• Like 7

Jeff couldn’t have said it better. PI or VLF my personal preference is to have a threshold that I can just hear. That’s the main reason I sold the GM1000 and got the N/M Gold Kruzer. 

• Like 3

Put it this way, if you lower your threshold too much, you need a greater signal to bust through to the audible level. Very faint variations in the threshold remain buried in that silent range. 

• Like 1