Tesoro Vaquero Stock Coil

dsb

Are they concentric or Double D?  One for sale sort of close by and has a NEL hunter coil too.  It's the purple one and has Garrett head phones.  Never ventured to the Delta side of Tesoro. Golden µmax and compadre in the past.

There were two Vaquero marketed versions -- the original came with a 8"x9" concentric.  Later they had a 'black' version which came with a DD coil (don't remember its size).

Something you may already know -- some of the Tesoro models were actually tuned to a particular type and size of coil.  To get optimum performance you had to either use the coil that came with it or send the detector and preferred coil to Prescott and get it tuned.  I don't know if the Vaquero was one of those models, though.  I have the stock 8"x9" concentric, 5.75" concentric, and 5"x 10" DD.  The two concentrics seem to work best for me in my coin and relic sites.

@kac and @dogodog are a couple regular posters here who use Tesoros and may be able to provide better / more complete info.  The world expert on all things Tesoro is @Monte Berry who has his own website and forum (here).

• Like 2

I've tried dd coils with my Tejon and didn't like them. Concentric is best on my Tejon. I'm using the 9x8 concentric and I have an 8" round concentric.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  When they first came out i was really interested but ended up waiting for the nox. No pic of factory coil probably concentric. Has the NEL coil in pictures.  Be a nice backup or loaner for the money. $300  Not buying anything for awhile

I don't beleive the coils were tuned to either version. Concentrics and DD's are compatible even from earlier versions. Of the dd coils the 10x12 widescan dd is a descent coil for relic hunting however if your hunting around a lot of nails and flat iron the concentric is better for that.

The 8x11 DD that Tesoro made is not that good. not very sensitive. It was used on black versions of the Tejon, Vaquero and Cibola. I have both the Tejon regular and Cibola black edition and that particular coil performs poorly on both machines while the 8x9 concentric works incredibly well on both machines.

Nel and Cors are made in Ukraine. As far as I know they have suspended production and do not export any product because of the war so if you do get one keep that in mind.

The coil you should try to get is the 8x9 concentric to start out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kac said:

Concentrics and DD's are compatible even from earlier versions.

Something I meant to add for completeness -- the Vaquero (along with Cibola, Tejon, and Lobo SuperTRAQ) take the 4-pin ('Delta') coil.  Pretty sure other coils are incompatible, even if you change the connector to 4 pin.

• Like 2

Maybe there are some dd coils that work well. The one I didn't like was the 8x11dd. I didn't care for the Lobo ST 10" elliptical coil either. The Nel coils might work ok. I've stayed with the concentric coils on my Tejon.

• Like 3

Cors Shrew does work really well for shallow hunting in high trash areas, makes for a good cherry picker in parks.

• Like 1

If I were you I would stick with the concentric coil options. I think Tesoro put out a DD just to satisfy the masses with the bandwagon being DD. Hands down concentrics on Tesoro machines dominate. This explains why you can not find concentrics for sale very often. I just have to say its not so much the coil, Its the whole package of design/disc ability that make these machines really shine. I just wish more companies would give a concentric option. Purple I believe is a DD

• Like 4

The 10x12 widescan coil is good in moderate and low trash conditions where you may want depth but will mask out as do other dd coils as that is the nature of the dd coil.

Tesoro's really shine with the concentrics and ability to silence out iron nails without losing coins even when iron is on top. They also don't silent mask when small iron is present (when you hear nothing and targets are below small iron). If you only have one machine then a dd would be a good 2nd choice.